Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #31

Tried making it look a bit more creepy. Made a slight crop to change the horizon. Played with slides in lightroom to make it look HDR then decided it looked better in black and white. Changed the numbers really fast in photoshop.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
05-10-2014, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm impressed with all the entries so far.
Really creative interpretations!

And it's been a long time this little "contest" attracted so much participants.
Great!

Very inspirational image to work with, Gary!

I started off in LR and tweaked the exposure a bit.
Then I used DxO Viewpoint to do some corrections to the perspective.

I used this result for the next steps that gave me these three.

I went to DxO Filmpack and came up with this result.

Exported to Silver Efex where I started from a preset I created myself.

Next interpretation with Colour Efex

05-10-2014, 10:39 AM - 3 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
here's my #2 attempt.. the vision was 120 film emulation (old portra 800)... not saying that i arrived at my goal but this was my best shot.. all maneuvers made in gimp+g'mic...

ok and then an abstract for my #3... all gimp+g'mic again

Last edited by todd; 05-10-2014 at 11:11 AM.
05-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #34

pentax compact camera post processing contest 23

I don't know if I am posting this in the right place I have looked and looked. In this picture I used photoshop 6. I used layers to darken the sky and change the address number, Dodge tool to darken areas, unsharp mask and selective colour to change the colours of the building.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
05-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #35

compact camera post processing contest 23

Here is another one still don't know if I am posting this in the right place I have looked and looked. In this picture I used photoshop 6. I used layers to darken the sky, change the address number and add soldiers, Dodge tool to darken areas, unsharp mask and selective colour to change the colours of the building.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
05-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #36

compact camera post processing contest 23

And my last one still don't know if I am posting this in the right place I have looked and looked. In this picture I used photoshop 6. I used layers to darken the sky, change the address number and add soldiers, Dodge tool to darken areas, unsharp mask and selective colour to change the colours of the building. Curves.
Attached Images

05-11-2014, 03:21 AM   #37

Here comes my version.

Postprocessed in PS, with the following method:

Brightness and Contrast layer: B: - 83, C: +94 + a gradient overlay for shadows in the corners
Layer 2 Overlay @ 75% opacity: Photomorphis-OutofAlignment-02
Layer 1 Hard Light @ 28% opacity: Photomorphis-OutofAlignment-10

Last edited by kenez; 05-11-2014 at 03:22 AM. Reason: ovarlay -> overlay
05-14-2014, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #38

Done with Smart Photo Editor
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
05-14-2014, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Here's my Black and White interpretation:

05-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #40
ghl

Original Poster
Wow! I'm gone for one and one-half weeks and I come back to three pages of great interpretations! I'm impressed with them all.

I apologize for not commenting earlier, or even now, but I'm in the middle of a two week finals push here. I have three math finals this coming Monday, and one history final next Wednesday (the 21st).

Then I'm going to drink way too much beer and sleep for two days. After this I'll probably post way too much on this thread; that is until my jury duty on the 27th!

Keep it up everyone, the interpretations are great and show a lot of creativity.
05-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ghl Quote
I apologize for not commenting earlier, or even now, but I'm in the middle of a two week finals push here.
Press on and conquer! You sure have your work cut out for you whenever it's time to judge this thing! But that's what you get for offering up such a perfect image for the challenge! Just to encourage you though, at least from my humble perspective, you don't need to take a bunch of time offering each one of us detailed feedback (unless you want to of course). You can of course just pick some winners and be on with it....
05-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #42
Pentaxian

My final entry.

05-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #43
ghl

Original Poster
How to decide?

Thanks to everyone that has submitted an interpretation!

I'm amazed at all the different takes, and I'm excited, yet hesitant, to pick a winner.

There's still two days to go for entering something.

See y'all late Friday night!
06-04-2014, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #44
ghl

Original Poster
Sorry again for my tardiness; I had some unexpected dental surgery last week, and I'm still a bit messed up from pain meds and seriously strong antibiotics. Anyway, enough of that.

All of the interpretations were well done, and it was interesting to see what other people saw in the original photo. I can only judge this by going off of what was in my mind's eye when I took the picture, though there are a few entries that made me reassess this approach.

Hopefully, I've arrived at a good decision, despite the meds!

ivoire:
I still really like the way your first post brought out some of the details of the peeling paint and the increased contrast. The horizontal crop is also very good. What catches my eye though are the halos on the roof edges and the chimney.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/7-pentax-compact-cameras/2197...t-23-comp1.jpg

todd:
I like your first entry a lot. At first I didn't like the way you added a third story to the building, but it has grown on me because it increases a sense of "looming" to my eye, and the range of light that you brought out in the clouds is really nice. I also like how you took out the signs on the buildings.

Definitely in the running.

http://www.tmphillips.com/g3/var/resizes/share9-2014/compact%2323a.JPG?m=1399269689

chemtech:
I like your second submission a lot. The horizontal crop is nice, and the play of light on the buildings is interesting as it brings more attention to them vs. the parking lot. The perspective correction is a bit too much as the chimney now leans to the left, but I know how hard it is to get this right.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/7-pentax-compact-cameras/2197...tlit-stark.jpg

dcBear78:
I like your third submission the best. The graininess doesn't bother me and actually adds to the photo. The vignette is nicely done. The only thing that bothers me is the loss of detail on the center building (old post office) -- not due to the grain, but to light values. But I still like it.

https://flic.kr/p/nt7pp9

matlobi:
I like this submission a lot. It captures the felling of the place well. The halos around the building roofs and chimney though are too extreme. I really like, though, the color and shading you brought out in the old post office and the elevated walkway -- it's real nice.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/7-pentax-compact-cameras/2197...23-matlobi.jpg

In the running.

Richard Briggs:
This entry is very nice. One can look at a lot of details and not like it, but the overall of the image is very cool. It looks to me you layered in a building with the clouds, which is interesting. The HDR type effects (and associated halos at high frequency edges) is a little overdone, but the overall feel from the image is great.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/7-pentax-compact-cameras/2198...-briggs_pe.jpg

scottwyatt01:
This is a very nice B&W interpretation. You brought out a nice balanced feel with the tonalities.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/7-pentax-compact-cameras/2199...est-1-1-1-.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Honorable Mention -- matlobi
Your interpretation captures the light and color on the old post office and elevated walkway really well. My eyes just can't get past the halos of the building roofs and chimney, or the gradient arc in the clouds from the left building foreground to the top of the chimney. I must say though, that despite these PP artifacts, I really like the mood you brought to the photo. The old post office and elevated walkway look great.

Third Place -- todd
I like the third story addition to the old post office. It is something I never would have thought of. I like the way it makes the building more foreboding. With that said, there are some obvious elements in the cloning that make it apparent, but I like the overall effect nonetheless.

Second Place -- scottwyatt01
The tones in the elevated walkway (especially the left side) and the old post office are really nice. I like this interpretation a lot and will probably regret not choosing this as the winner.

First Place -- Richard Briggs
It seems that you got my Terry Gilliam reference (even though I initially misspelled his last name) . There are a lot of distracting elements in your interpretation, but so what! Even after being "visually distracted" it is very interesting to look at. Good work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information for next host:

The MediaFire website is: mediafire.com
The log in name is: pentaxchallenge @ yahoo.com
The password is: postprocessing

Thanks to everyone for participating. I love this forum!

Cheers!
06-04-2014, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

once again, thanks ghl for hosting a great round, despite all the study, beer, pain, and pharmaceuticals you've been immersed in! I appreciate all the time you took to judge and provide thoughtful feedback.. Congrats to Richard! Based on your interpretation I think we're going to have to get outside the box to impress you in the next one!