Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #1

Polarizing filter adapters for the Ricoh WG4?

Hello,

Would anyone know if the macro stand O-MS2 is threaded like the older macro stand O-MS1? Thread diameter is the same, 46mm? Same question for the lens adapter O-LA135. Thread diameter is still 46mm? The mounting of these adapters is sturdy enough so that they can be permanent, safe, on camera?

Thank you

05-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just looked at the macro stand and yes, it's threaded. I didn't have a ruler handy but 46mm looked about right

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #3

Did the 48mm filter fit the thread? The one issue I have with the WG3 is sunlight hitting the front lens shield causing purple haze in the image center. The camera almost needs a lens hood.
06-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #4

I originally purchased the WG-3 to take with me kayaking and hiking and not have to worry about the camera getting wet. The one issue I have noted is the lens flare and purple hazing when sunlight hits the outer lens shield at an angle. I also thought it would be nice to be able to use a CPL at times on those really bright sunny days on the water. Using the supplied macro stand O-MS2 I attached a 46mm to 52mm step up adapter ring so I could use my existing 52mm CPL filters and rubber hood and minimize the risk of vignetting at the wide angle 1.0x zoom. However, I still noted vignetting when wide, zooming in a fraction clears it. I could also use a petal hood.

I've attached some pictures below of the attached adapter and an HDR picture directly from the WG-3 with the hood on so you can see the vignetting at top right. One other thing is that when using the adapter it obscures the AF assist light and flash. I only plan to use this during bright daylight so don't see this as an issue.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX WG-3  Photo 
10-24-2014, 12:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
The O-LA135 adapter has a diameter of 37mm not 46mm like the macro stand !!!
It is more sturdy than macro stand. Besides, with the macro stand I lost a polarizing filter in a small fish pond. Then it was stolen in a trip through Italy with my backpack with some camera equipment .
So I bought the O-LA135 adapter.
The O-LA135 is even so robust, without a tool I can not get out of the camera. Even with a tool is difficult to remove it . But I do not mind if it stays on the WG4.
I used a 49mm polarizing filter with step up ring. Indeed in this case there is an obscuring the flash and AF assist. That's why I ordered a 37mm filter. Otherwise the 49mm adapter ring and filter it seems to me that the device is already bulky.
WG4 has also chromatic aberration. But I think it's a general problem for the compact point and shoot cameras.
01-02-2015, 02:46 AM   #6

Okay, I just bought a ricoh wg4 and plan to get a polarizing filter for when I do mountain hiking shots. Can some one please tell me (specifically) what I need to get. Its clear from reading the comments up top I will need an adapter to widen my mount to use a polarizing filter and then the filter itself. Also can I get filter recomendations. I would like to not spend more than $50.00 but am willing to spend up to $75.00. I want one that will do its job properly.