Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh WG-4 vs. GoPro?

A friend of mine is leaning towards getting a WG4 for his outdoor travel and stuff. I wondered why he's not going for a GoPro, and I'm not gonna discourage him on that decision lol

but just to be fair, what are the advantages of a WG4 over a GoPro? Since they also seem to fly close in terms of price..

05-13-2014, 12:39 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think the best way to look at it is that the WG-4 is a camera whereas a GoPro is a recording device. The GoPro comes in a protective casing so it's more resilient, but it doesn't have elements of a traditional camera like an LCD screen, flash, or zoom.

Another key distinction is that the gopro comes with lots of mounting accessories, whereas they're only available separately and just coming out for the WG-4. So I guess it all boils down to what he'll be using the camera for

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-13-2014, 01:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The GoPro can get some decent results, but it has a fixed aperture, fixed focal length lens. It's more of a video recording device.

The WG-4 is more of a stills camera with video capabilities. It has a 4x zoom lens with variable aperture that's from 1 stop faster to 1.5 stops slower than the GoPro. It has handy features like a ring of macro-use LED lights around the lens for well-lit, really close-up work.
05-13-2014, 05:33 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

The Go Pro is a really cool little video camera device. It has a lot of limitations which mean it's really good at what it does, record action when mounted on things.

If you want a rugged compact camera, the WG series and its competitors are the way to go. If you want a rugged videocamera the Go Pro has a lot of advantages.

05-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the insights! I'm going to share those with my friend. Guess we're going to have a lengthy run-down of things the camera would be used for to make sure he gets the right gear.
06-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter

My philosophy is ALWAYS...... "GET BOTH!"