Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
WG-3 Video

Ok, so I have a GoPro Hero3+, but the Optio WG3 is easier to use.
So don't go and say "Buy a GoPro" since I own one.

So back to the WG3. I bought the new mounts for the WG3 and they work GREAT.

What I don't know is what I did wrong for such shaky video?

In the past, I would mount a WG on my bicycle handlebars and I would get great footage.
When I used the new mounts with my WG3, the video was horrible.

Could it be that the SR is too active?
Should I turn it off?

Any folks out there that know the good settings for WG footage?

06-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 2,142
Are there even any settings? SR would probably need to be off.
What are the differences between the old and new mounts?
Try remembering if you changed any settings lately.

Edit: Looking at the mounts - maybe you just tightened the new ones more than the old set? That would explain some of the shake.
06-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,993
If the camera is mounted, I would disable the shake reduction (which is digital in video mode).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Are there even any settings? SR would probably need to be off.
What are the differences between the old and new mounts?
Try remembering if you changed any settings lately.

Edit: Looking at the mounts - maybe you just tightened the new ones more than the old set? That would explain some of the shake.
Dunno.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If the camera is mounted, I would disable the shake reduction (which is digital in video mode).
I will try it.

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 07:45 PM ----------

Here is 30 seconds or so of queezy video to show what I am talking about.



06-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,993
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Dunno.



I will try it.

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 07:45 PM ----------

Here is 30 seconds or so of queezy video to show what I am talking about.

Optio WG 3 on my Bicycle Test - YouTube
After seeing that sample video, I'm fairly confident that the SR is the culprit.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-05-2014, 11:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
After seeing that sample video, I'm fairly confident that the SR is the culprit.
Ok...I tracked it down.

Yep, this could be a firmware bug!!!!

I have SR turned OFF in Movie mode, and if I put the camera into movie mode, the SR will not come on if I active the movie via the shutter button in movie mode.

If the camera is in any other mode - as in "P" - and I hit the red REC button, the SR is ON by default!!!!

The Red REC button activates SR and seems to override the settings in the Setup for movie.






Last edited by LaurenOE; 06-06-2014 at 12:00 AM.
06-06-2014, 01:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 2,142
We should make a list of all the bugs we can find and send it to Ricoh. Adam?
06-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
Original Poster
Well, while the SR might have been a problem, I am still getting the worst video I have ever shot from the WG-3.


It's really horrible as an "action camera".
That's too bad, because my older WG shot much better video.

Anyone have any ideas?

If this is what I have to deal with, then I will be taking my GoPro Hero3+ for video and the Optio WG3 for stills.

NOT cool since I wish I could bring just one.

06-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,250
I agree, that is totally unusable, unacceptable and worthless, but to me that looks like [digital] SR still somehow active.
RICOH have seemingly lost the plot when it comes to vidoe.

I know the MX-1 also ignores user settings when the Red button is press, so I never use it.
I also know there are several other bugs in the firmware. For example, it ignores things like Face Detection being OFF last time it was used and Digital Zoom being OFF last time it was used. When the camera is switched on again, these settings are back to being ON!

Shame they haven't bothered with firmware updates for the MX-1

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 06-14-2014 at 09:43 PM.
06-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I agree, that is totally unusable, unacceptable and worthless, but to me that looks like [digital] SR still somehow active.
RICOH have seemingly lost the plot when it comes to vidoe.

I know the MX-1 also ignores user settings when the Red button is press, so I never use it.
I also know there are several other bugs in the firmware. For example, it ignores things like Face Detection being OFF last time it was used and Digital Zoom being OFF last time it was used. When the camera is switched on again, these settings are back to being ON!

Shame they haven't bothered with firmware updates for the MX-1
I totally agree.
It appears that the SR is STILL active.
I also noticed the Face Detection thingy too.



---------- Post added 06-15-14 at 02:38 AM ----------

Here is some footage from my old Pentax Optio W80

06-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,250
I want the red button to record video at whatever the current mode dial and settings are, but no - Ricoh knows best it seems
06-19-2014, 01:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I want the red button to record video at whatever the current mode dial and settings are, but no - Ricoh knows best it seems
LOL. Don't get me started!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
active, detection, digital camera, firmware, footage, mounts, mx-1, optio, pentax cameras, point and shoot, settings, shake, sr, time, video, w80, wg, wg3
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wg-20 vs WG-3!!!Which is better? Zanzy Pentax Compact Cameras 3 05-15-2014 01:07 PM
Pentax WG-3 on Sale Adam Pentax Price Watch 15 01-10-2014 06:32 PM
Pentax Optio WG-3 video download challenge Eric Z. Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 09-06-2013 06:33 PM
Optio WG-3 GPS, WG-3, and WG-10 Outdoor Compacts officially Announced Adam Pentax News and Rumors 13 02-03-2013 03:02 AM
PENTAX WG-10, WG-3 GPS and WG-3 is Coming!!! ogunturkay Pentax News and Rumors 41 01-29-2013 10:00 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:11 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top