Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #1

Pentax Compact Camera Post Processing Contest #24

The picture posted for this month was taken with a Canon G12 compact camera.

The picture was taken in February 2014 in Seville, Southern Spain. Four months later my memories are of perfect temperatures, no crowds, blue sky, a lovely mix of Spanish and Arab architecture and streets with trees that drip oranges. And that's what I tried to capture in this picture. I've always felt it needs some sort of attention to really bring out these characteristics. The ingredients are there but the mix is lacking somewhere. Whether it needs subtle treatment or would benefit from something surreal I'll leave that for you to decide.

Richard Briggs, UK

The Rules
1. Have Fun!
2. Use any Post Processing Software and techniques.
3. Entries will close on June 30, 2014 at midnight Eastern Standard Time (a.k.a. New York time).
4. Maximum image dimensions for entries are 1024x768 pixels
5. Max of 3 image entries per person. Entries may be withdrawn or changed
6. List software used, as well as your method, with your entry so we can all learn.
7. There are no limits or restrictions - make the subject image into whatever you want!
8. Do not copy or alter other entries.
9. Contest winner determines the rules, selects theme, sets closing date, and judge’s the next competition.
10. Have Fun

The file is .jpg only and is available here:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/myfiles/#g216nxqn00yg3j5

Information for the next host:
The MediaFire website is: mediafire.com
The log in name is: pentaxchallenge @ yahoo.com
The password is: postprocessing

Thanks to all, and I'm looking forward to seeing the interpretations that come from this.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot G12  Photo 

Last edited by Richard Briggs; 06-11-2014 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Correct URL for competition photo
06-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Briggs Quote
The file is .jpg only and is available here:
You're linked to the image from last month...
06-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
ghl

This should be the correct link to Richard's picture:

Free File Sharing and Storage made Simple.
06-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for spotting. Thought the link was to the Forum not the actual photo. Have replaced with correct URL.

Richard

Last edited by Richard Briggs; 06-11-2014 at 10:30 PM.
06-11-2014, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

first hack-a-whack at it... applied a kodachrome filter in g'mic at the end...
06-16-2014, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #6
Den
Veteran Member

1st attempt
Attached Images

06-22-2014, 01:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A great image with a warm summer feel, Richard.

I wanted to have a go at the perspective challenge.
I started out with LR for some basic tweaking.
I sent the image to DxO ViewPoint for the perspective manipulation.
I lost a massive amount of that great orange tree but I gave this up as a price to pay.

From this result, I went to the next applications.

with Color Efex a mix of "filters". I use this based on the effect I get and I usually end up with a lot of filters applied and modified.

with Silver Efex, here I start from one of the presets and tweak until I like the result.

Last one with DxO FilmPack, the forté of this application is the emulation of films. At least that is how I use it. So, here I just choose the film and do little to no tweaking.
This is "Fuji Velvia 50".

06-25-2014, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Great image! Those G series Canons seem like useful compacts!

Here's a first attempt, more to get a crop I like, than anything else.

And some out of the box thinking for the 2nd one:

aaaand my final attempt another crop I liked, it feels interesting.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 06-25-2014 at 11:27 AM.
07-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi all, thanks for the contributions. I'll waste no time and tell you that 'todd' has won this month's competition. Giving you all reasons 'why' may be risky and certainly there's no technical reason. It's just the one that hit me as soon as I saw it. The secret, I reckon. was in the square crop (like ChristianRock) which removed some of the superfluous foliage. Todd's take warmed up the oranges and the sky which was what Seville was all about to me (as said in the original post). I also think the crop accentuates the oranges. On my original they are somewhat lost.

I also liked 'Barts' first take. The 'dreaminess' of it. Be interesting to see a square crop with that sort of effect.

I also liked Den's very brave attempt. I reckon there is a good picture going a bit arty such as this but unfortunately this effect wasn't one that got me going.

And, finally, its interesting how ChristianRock's reverse image seems to work better (or is it just different?). Maybe there's some 'rule' that things should lean in from the left?

Anyway, congratulations to Todd. We eagerly await his submission for the July contest!

Regards
Richard

PS Todd did not win because he comes from Orange in California! In case you were wondering
07-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks for the nod Richard in another fine albeit lesser attended round of this challenge. I enjoyed all the entries here. I've always struggled to choose a compact shot when I've won before but I will get to looking here...

Here's the next challenge

Last edited by todd; 07-02-2014 at 10:29 AM.
07-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Congratulations to Todd! And thanks Richard for hosting this month's contest and for judging.

Todd: just don't win so much and you won't have these struggles just teasing ya
07-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Congratulations, Todd!

& another thanks to Richard!