Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2008, 02:30 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Help me decide: Repair or replace my nice Pentax film P&S?

The Pentax Espio Mini (black UC-1) is a very good (and uncommon) 35mm AF point and shoot camera.
But sadly mine now won't stop rewinding at the end of each roll.

Pentax doesn't fix these anymore. Neither does Essex. KEH will charge $90 if they can repair it.

The Olympus Stylus Epic (mju II) black is still available brand new at B&H for that much.

What would you do, repair or replace it?

TIA,
Chris

05-04-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The Pentax Espio Mini (black UC-1) is a very good (and uncommon) 35mm AF point and shoot camera.
But sadly mine now won't stop rewinding at the end of each roll.

Pentax doesn't fix these anymore. Neither does Essex. KEH will charge $90 if they can repair it.

The Olympus Stylus Epic (mju II) black is still available brand new at B&H for that much.

What would you do, repair or replace it?

TIA,
Chris
Unless you know what parts need replacing, can locate cheap replacement parts, and can do the work yourself, it's NOT worth repairing.

You can buy a brand new film point-and-shoot or a used point-and-shoot from KEH for less than $90.
04-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Smallest Pentax 35mm film camera

FWIW Cambridge Camera has been selling brand new in box UC-1 cameras on eBay.
I gave up on getting my Espio Mini (same camera, different finish) repaired and bought one.

Chris
04-26-2009, 04:30 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Film Camera Replacement

Buy new or a well taken cared use one. Fixing any film camera (unless a model that is particularly rare or valuable) is almost never worth the cost. I have a P5 that has a jammed film advance lever. Took in to a reputable place to get an estimate on fixing the problem. The guy said that entire film transfer system needed to be fixed. Got a quote that was really high. The guy said it was much better to just cruise eBay and find another one.