Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #1

WG Series Camera Questions

I am considering purchasing a WG-3 camera for a upcoming trip to the Dominican Republic. But as I look more closely at these cameras I have a few questions...

1. Are there no lens caps provided for these camera? Each one I see has none and I see none shown as being included

2. Will typical lens filters fit these cameras?

3. Do these camera have any buoyancy to them or do they sink like a rock if dropped underwater?

3. Is there anywhere I can compare all the WG series past and present models side by side? The model numbering system makes no sense to me...

THANKS!!

06-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The are no lens caps. With the supplied macro stand, 40.5mm filters can be used.

The wg3 will sink, hence a wrist strap is recommended.

Check out our camera database for a chronological listing of all the wg models.

The current model is the wg4, which is virtually identical to the wg3. The wg2 came before that, and the wg1 came before the wg2.

The wg10 and wg20 are virtually identical to the wg1, and are considered low end models.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Btw, there are lots of other waterproof compacts out there, some of which have newer tech and better waterproofing than the wg3. Some are also cheaper. See this table:
Ricoh WG-4 GPS Review - Conclusion - PF Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Like all waterproof cameras, the WG-3 has a flat front "lens" element, which makes cleaning quite easy, compared to a rounded element. It is recessed a little bit, such that I don't have any qualms about putting it in my pocket and possibly getting smudged. At the same time, the flat portion is wide enough that you don't need to worry about getting dust, pocket lint, or sand wedged into the corners of your lens, and fouling your image. I think it is a very good design.

It comes with a strap with a caribiner clip, which I didn't like because the aluminum could scratch the rear LCD. So I don't have a strap at all. I would probably attach one of those floating buoyant straps if I were over the ocean. The WG-3 is heavier and sturdier than it looks in photos. The WG-10 and WG-20 feel practically like toys next to it, in terms of weight and subjective build quality, IMO.

06-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The two small rubber o-rings on the carabiner are there, supposedly, to protect the rear screen from potential damage caused by the carabiner. Although you must be vigilant to maintain them in their proper position. Something similar to the "10 & 2" position on the steering wheel. I believe that the manual addresses the issue.
06-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the WG3 which is third underwater system I have purchased and it is way way better than my panasonic and canon. I purchased from B&H a buoyant wrist trap so as it won't sink like a rock. At the bottom of your list should be panasonic.

While my pentax WG3 is surprisingly sharp don't expect the same detail underwater from this or any other camera. If you are use to K5 or K3 you will quickly find the WG3 has no detail in white areas which you may find annoying.

I have considered the Nikon AW1 with a much larger sensor and price tag but it lacks shake reduction