Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian

What kind of nut..!?

PENTAX MX-1

There's this small tree that grew my side of the fence over the last two years or so, quite quickly. It's an attractive tree which is now bearing fruit. I never really looked closely until today and I must say it resembles some sort of Walnut or Hickory and is about the right size. Nothing native to Australia that I'm aware of, so it's quite unusual that it grew spontaneously.

I've searched google a little but can't find anything quite the same.. Maybe someone reading this forum might recognize it right away and hopefully they are edible

07-05-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They look like a cross between Buckeyes and Pecans. That shape is just bizarre. I've never seen anything quite like it. Ah found them I think, Melicope rubra pods. (Little Evoida Tree) Scroll down there are pics of younger pods that look like these.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/melicoperubra/interesting/

Last edited by magkelly; 07-05-2014 at 12:37 AM.
07-05-2014, 01:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well done, yes that certainly looks very close except this one did not have red/pink flowers like that - they were creamy-white.
07-05-2014, 02:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was intrigued by your query and photos. Do you have any pics or just a description of what the flowers or buds looked liked before the fruit set on? It sounds like it is still a young tree and it is already producing quite a bit of fruit. Perhaps, it is from a family of quick growth Hickory/Pecan???

07-05-2014, 03:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No other pictures, was an unremarkable tree until the fruits grew on the branches. The flowers were definitely not red and showy as are described for the Melicope rubra, so I'm assuming it's a hybrid - natural or otherwise. Birds probably dumped some seed here.
So, unfortunately nothing like a Pecan.

Flowers like this would have stood out like dogs nads and have resulted in me taking a few photos for sure.