Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2014, 04:11 AM   #1

x-5 Replacement?

Looking for a p&s I can toss into my backpack without having to lug my k-30 around on those
kind of trips. Any news if Pentax is looking to replace/upgrade the x-5 anytime soon?

07-05-2014, 05:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Not heard or saw anything about that but then when whispers or heard they are never about those kind of cams (speaking Pentax/Ricoh of course).
07-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
TAP

Might want to post this somewhere else, this is the News/Rumors forum

But to answer your question, Have you considered the k-01?
Same 16mp sensor as the k-30, and more compact than the x-5.
It has no optical viewfinder but isn't burdened by a fixed focal range either.
One can be had on Ebay for less than $500 if you keep an eye out.

Another option (if you're not too concerned with low-light shooting) is the WG-3.
Pros: Small, waterproof, shockproof, coldproof, heatproof, interesting shooting modes
Cons: noticeably worse IQ in low light, no manual focus, crappy manual controls
For portability and ruggedness, It's damn nice. Comes with a carabiner clip too!
07-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax seems to be abandoning the compact camera market- I don't know if they will be replacing the X-5, but I haven't heard any news.

Here are some alternatives to consider:
Nikon COOLPIX L830 Digital Camera (Black) 26439 B&H Photo Video
Nikon COOLPIX P530 Digital Camera (Black) 26464 B&H Photo Video
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Digital Camera 6352B001 B&H Photo Video
Panasonic DMC-FZ70 Digital Camera DMC-FZ70K B&H Photo
Canon Power Shot SX510 HS Point-and-Shoot Camera 8409B001 B&H

All are highly-capable

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My K-01 takes rugged treatment every day without complaint. But I also carry a Fujifilm 1800S bridge camera from time to time, and that takes it as well. I think the latest Fujifilm bridge cameras have a slightly larger sensor than the 1800S.
07-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all!
07-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

Follow this link for information about the successor to the X-5. It should be announced soon.

Original
????????????PENTAX XG-1??????????????? - ????info

Through Google translate into English.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://digicame-info.com...ari%26rls%3Den
07-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Announced on July 15.

Pentax XG-1: Digital Photography Review

Think I'll still be in the market for something else. With cameras like the FZ1000, RX10, Stylus1 and Fuji S1 coming out, all with high res EVFs and very very decent LCD screens, you'd think Ricoh would want to capture a bit of the market thats available... I would buy a Pentax superzoom if it had good specs. I'd LOVE a Pentax superzoom with good specs. The XG-1 is half assed, a day late and several dollars short. And it doesnt even shoot RAW which is something almost mandatory for a small sensor. Oh well. Moving right along. Clearly its aimed at a different market than the one I sit in...

07-27-2014, 03:37 AM   #9
PJ1
Site Supporter

I second kiteflyer's view. I am looking for a new superzoom as a backup, but a 1/2.3" sensor is not going to convince me.
07-27-2014, 06:02 AM   #10

Original Poster
Yes, I was a bit disappointed when I read the specs vs. the PRICE.
It's too bad because I'd like to give my money to Ricoh but...
08-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I second kiteflyer's view. I am looking for a new superzoom as a backup, but a 1/2.3" sensor is not going to convince me.
Its actually not the sensor size that bothers me. Its the other stuff. I still want an EVF for those awfully bright days when you are guessing about your framing. A better LCD would help, too. I think that the small sensors are a lot better and more refined than they used to be, so its less of a problem for me. I'm even relatively happy with the output from my now quite aged Panasonic FZ100, but its EVF is just horrible, and the LCD screen at 460k dots is not usable in bright light. Having it as a variable angle screen does help somewhat. If Ricoh had addressed *any* of those issues, I'd probably consider it as an option. But with no raw shooting, a crap EVF, LCD, and not even variangle... WTF?