Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Considering ditching Q for Mx-1

High all. I have been the owner of an original Q with 01 prime for about a year. its a nifty little camera, but I do not find it is meeting my needs for a general purpose compact with manual controls. And, quite frankly, I am disappointed with the image quality.

I am considering listing it here and getting the MX-1 instead. I already have a k-01 and a k-5. What I really want is something compact with good image quality that I can carry about everyday and use for those everyday candid moments when you can lug a dslr.

Interested in anyone's comments on how the original Q compares to the mx-1

07-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know about the MX-1, but I found the Q7 to give a significant IQ advantage over the original Q. I think the MX-1 has a similar sensor, maybe the same? So it may do what you want.
07-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why not spring for the Ricoh GR or a Sony compact f you want IQ to the level of you DSLRs? Also a Samsung NX with a pancake or two is quite tiny and very capable.
07-14-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thought I wanted an MX-1. Finally handled one. It is big and heavy for a compact. I will stay with the Q system.
thanks
barondla

Q will be around long afte the MX-1 is forgotten.

07-15-2014, 05:15 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Banned

MX-1 is overall much better than the Q.
I am keeping the Q only because of the 01 normal and 03 fisheye lens. All other lenses are either worthless, or too much $ for lousy and flimsy quality (not sure about the 08 wide-angle zoom).
In other respects, the MX-1 has superior optics, amazing macro capability, much better image processing. JPEGs out of MX-1 are superb. The build quality is above the Q as well. It has a tilting screen with much better glare resistance. And the lens is retracting, making the MX-1 more pocketable than Q despite being a little heavier camera.
MX-1 makes Q wanting and incomplete in many regards.

Last edited by Uluru; 07-15-2014 at 05:23 AM.
07-15-2014, 05:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have the MX-1 now too and really enjoy it, but will be keeping my original Q for telephoto (with adapter) and for the fish eye.
Sold my 01 lens, but keeping the 02.
07-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. Just sold the Q. I only had the 01 prime and was not interested in pending more on the other lenses. I wanted to like it...I really did. I took it along all the time, but was always frustrated with the difficulty handling it and the image output. I had some good keepers from it, but I found the camera more of an annoyance than fun. The "presets" were fun at first, but got old.

I decided what I really wanted was a nice compact "grab and go" shooter with great IQ for an everyday companion. (shooting toddler when walking to the park; carrying to work to grab some quickies on late night diner runs before heading back to the office; etc.) I realize its bigger than the Q, but the MX-1 seems to fit the bill.

07-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you haven't held one, be prepared, it's a little brick, but in a good way.
I'll bet many, if not most of us, buy our Pentax cameras without first seeing them in person.
08-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

For $250 or $199US the MX1 is fantastic value and a more than capable replacement to the original Q and probably newer Qs. I have both and will continue to use the Q for concerts because of the 06 lens.

The MX1 will likely be my light general purpose compact although not really compact. The sensor is better than the Q and the screen noticeably better. The ui though is dumbed down and picture settings far more limited if you like to have more control over sharpening, contrast, etc.

I do like the build though. Its quite a sexy camera if you get one of those faux leather cases. It reminds me of the Fujifilm Ex1.
08-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I bought my MX-1 refurbed from KEH and it's been a great buy so far. Like you, I wanted something smaller that I could carry around with me every day. It fits the bill. If money was no object, I'd have bought a GR, but money IS an object. With the MX-1 I lose the great sensor, but gain zoom capability. It also takes pretty nice macros. I think the MX-1 is a bit more versatile than the GR.

Anyway, I'm still getting used to it but for the money I can't see myself complaining. It serves its purpose and the build quality is fantastic. So is that lens!
08-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
After a month and a half, I have to say, I love the MX-1 much more than my old Q that I sold to fund it. The Mx-1 is portable, capable, fun, and produces excellent images. The q was always the "little camera that just couldn't quite do it" for me...my mx-1 continues to amaze me. It is an excellent choice for a walk-around "do it all" compact. I highly recommend it.
08-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #12
Forum Member

I have both an MX-1 and an original Q. While I like playing with the diminutive Q, the MX-1 is the one I tend to take out when I don't want to lug around my DSLR. It just produces nicer results than the Q most of the time. I'll probably keep the Q since I got a killer deal (refurbished), and because the crop factor can be useful for extreme adapted telephoto work. Plus the Q is a good conversation-starter because of the 'cuteness' factor.
08-29-2014, 12:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

MX-1 = A genuine DSLR alternative to be carried everywhere, all the time, because you can, because you never know when a moment might become decisive. Oh, and because that waist level finder is...

Da.
Bomb.
Diggity.

Original Q = "lets get small" and have a bit of fun (I'm becoming a convert, I know).

Put them both in a bag; together they require less space than a DSLR. In effect you have a fun "digital holga" and a serious compact.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 08-29-2014 at 12:23 AM.
12-22-2014, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just as a report back after 5 months, I do not regret selling the Q and getting the mx-1 at all. MX-1 continues to surprise me with the quality of its images and versatility. It has made my K-01 rather lonely, as the k-01 used to be my "carry around." Now, if I want to grab and go, its the mx-1 that gets packed. The k5ii handles the serious stuff.

The Mx-1 really is a great little camera and I am sad they discontinued it.
12-23-2014, 01:01 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Great to hear the Mx-1 is doing the job for you. Like you had, ive got the Q and 01 prime. It does what i want it to do. None of us should stick with a camera we dont like. Life is short.