Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2014, 06:02 AM   #16

I just read an enthusiastic review of the Canon G16. According to the review, it is the top compact camera.

Got curious and did some studio comparision at dpreview.

Result: nothing to envy. The G16 has a bit longer zoom, but softer lens and at higher ISO it is also worse than the Mx-1.

Seems, we MX-1 owners do still have the top model. A real upgrade would be a DSLR with a high-quality lens.

01-05-2015, 10:21 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Noise is still an issue for me. ... considering moving up to a ricoh gr or fuji x100s...not finding I use the zoom very much on the mx1.
01-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #18
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Panasonic's new D-Lux with m4/3 sensor may be the best idea of a compact implemented yet. That, and a GR, are the best executed ideas.
Pity the lens in this new D-Lux seems to be its weakest part, prone to (rather extensive) flare. That is something Pentax would not allow.

Indeed, that is why people are waiting for Pentax to bring certain answers to the table: the FF, the ultimate compact, etc.
When they do something, they do it extremely well.
01-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
For sake of completeness, I upgraded to the GR, although I gave a D-Lux a very hard look. So far I am finding the GR to be what I was really hoping for the in Q...a compact carry-all camera with DSLR controls and great image quality. I do miss the tilt-screen, retro look, close macro, and exposure comp dial on the mx-1 though. I seriously considered the D-Lux, but could not justify the price for what I want to do with the camera.

The "Q" was novel; the mx-1 looked "cool" and had good image quality; the GR is lightweight, compact infinitely customizable, can be carried in a pocket, and has IQ that I dare say rivals my k5ii. Not that the GR is perfect. I am still struggling with the menu options and settings quirks, 28mm view, as well as button layout, etc (only had it a week though). But for what I was looking for, I think the GR will do nicely.