Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

Should i shoot in raw in my pentax mx-1?

will the photos look better and will it use more battery power? I just put a 64 gig 90 mbps sd card in my camera so I have a lot of space now.

07-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I would say potentially better, if you put some effort into post processing them. Probably worse if you don't.

I highly doubt you'll notice any difference in power usage. Might be a theoretical difference, but then again maybe not.
07-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I do not have an MX-1, but every camera I've used gives potentially (to steal a word from the post above) better results with raw rather than JPG. The results depend on your processing software, skill, and available time. The main benefit of raw for me is increased flexibility to fine tune highlights and shadows later. Raw also facilitates white balance and other adjustments.

After a typical day of photography I review everything in Lightroom, mark my best compositions that day (10 photos, give or take), then spend around 5 minutes adjusting each of those 10 photos. That hour of work is worth it to me.
07-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tootal2 Quote
will the photos look better and will it use more battery power? I just put a 64 gig 90 mbps sd card in my camera so I have a lot of space now.
Raw is the way to go with shooting scenes with lots of shadows and/or highlight, as you'll be able to recover them easier. Otherwise, jpg should be fine. On the MX-1 RAWs take forever to save (the fact that it's a (90Mb/s card won't help much since the camera maxes out well below that), so do keep that in mind when choosing the format

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Jpeg mode means the camera itself will process the raw data into jpeg photos. This is done according to your settings (Bright, Vibrant, Black and white, CA and distortion correction, etc.) and the algorithms made by Pentax engineers.
If you shoot raw, the raw data is not yet a photo. You need to use a software to develop/post process the raw data into an image. When you do this, you can do a lot of things. The raw data, without anything applied, will look worse than jpeg photos. But you can apply contrast, white balance, sharpening, and many other things. This gives you more freedom than a jpeg and if you are skilled, you can make the photos look better than the jpegs. Raw lets you follow your own vision, lets you make the photo look like the scene you saw, and lets you recover from mistakes easier (like overexposure, wrong WB, and so on)

I suggest you give it a try, take some raw photos and use a trial version of raw editing software (Lightroom, Aftershot, DXO, Silkypix..) , or one of the free softwares (FastStone, Raw Therapee, Gimp, Google's Picasa?)
I think some version of Silkypix comes with the camera, so you can try that one. That one also lets you imitate the jpeg modes of your camera to get you started. The main feature of raw files, or rather raw software, is that you can edit photos non-destructively. The raw data will be kept. So you can change colours, etc. and simply "reset" back to original with no quality loss. With jpegs, each edit loses quality.
07-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I shoot RAW 100% of the time with all my Pentax cameras, including the MX-1. The only downside if you are the impatient type is the buffer fills quickly and writing to the card is slower. It's a non-issue for me but some have mentioned it.
The camera is the recorder, I am the editor.
07-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter

If you plan to Post Process, then yes, shoot in RAW. I always shoot in RAW with my MX-1.
07-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I don't know about the more modern cameras, but in my K200D shooting in RAW and processing with the defaults on a computer produces substantially nicer images than using the jpegs out of the camera. RAW is about more than shadow detail or recovering highlights - there's a lot more post processing that can be done.

07-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I shoot raw+jpeg on all of my cameras including the mx1
07-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
are there any good raw to jpeg converting apps?
07-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #11

Conversely, if you want to learn to shoot manual well, shoot in JPEG, as it forces you to be smarter when exposing because you cant fix it later like you can in raw.
07-18-2014, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I'm taking more personal and "artistic" shots with the MX-1, or if I'm shooting in difficult lighting conditions, I shoot RAW, edit with PSE 11 and share them on Flickr. If I'm taking snapshots of my sister-in-law on her birthday, I use JPEGs and put them right on Facebook. ;-)

I have not found the write time to be all that unbearable with the MX-1, although many disagree. The camera is VERY capable, and the RAW files are extremely workable, even up to ISO 1600, IMO. I had some friends out to a pool hall and shot in RAW, because of all the neon, shadows and highlights, and at ISO 1600. I was very impressed with the files the MX-1 provided to me: