Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Point and Shoot Competition #81 What YOU don't see everyday

Let me see your point and shoot captures of "what you personally don't see everyday".

This can be at home, on vacation, or out the car window. It can be an "oh, wow", or that's really strange, or, I've never seen one of those, or even an unique perspective that changes how things normally look. Things that make you glad you've got the camera along. From the unusual to the sublime, it is what you personally don't see all the time that I'm interested in here.

Judging will be difficult, so help me out and write a little something about why this is something that you don't see everyday wherever you happen to be.

Also, due to nature of this theme, the capture date of the photo can be older than a year.

RULES (as per usual):

1. Have lots of fun!
2. Cameras:

No cameras with sensors larger than 1".
No large format or camera typically requiring a tripod to use.
No interchangeable lens cameras.
No 35mm (D)SLRs or any camera weighing over 1kg.

Cameras permitted (cameras listed as acceptable here supersede rules above):

Mobile phones, old and new, iPods, tablets, toy cameras.
Fixed-lens 35mm and smaller-format film and digital rangefinder and viewfinder cameras.
Interchangeable or fixed-lens 110film SLRs and Pentax Q.
TLRs, 6x9, 6x7, 6x6, Medium Format "folding", "box", or "Holga-style" scale focus cameras ( subject to 1kg weight limitation).

ANY CAMERA BRAND ALLOWED.

3. Entries will close on August 31st, 2014 at Midnight (pst).
4. Maximum image dimensions are 1024x768 (ish) pixels.
5. List camera brand and model with entry for all to see, and exposure data would be nice.

6. The photos in this contest must have been shot within the last year. Edit: For this theme no time limits.
7. Contest winner determines the rules, selects theme, sets closing date and judges the next competition.

8. Enter one image, however you may change your entries as many times as you like up to the contest closing date/time. Edit: Up to three is fine with me!

9. Feel free to post a shot ( not judged) which shows off your setup.

a few examples are attached.

1. Because it was taken going down the highway with a zoom compression, the windmill appears super large next to the old church.
2. Chrysalis found in my Sisters kitchen. Still don't know the whole story here.
3. Berserker with Redbull from a convention. Enough said.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FZ150  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FZ150  Photo 

Last edited by chemtech; 08-12-2014 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Update rules
08-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great theme!
08-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter

um this ought to be interesting.
08-10-2014, 01:33 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Thanks to the time limits being lifted, I have some entries
All are taken with Panansonic FX500.

From the cemetery Campo Santo in Ghent

While I find visiting cemeteries interesting and offering great photo opportunities, it is not something I do every day - luckily.

From the pier in Nieuwpoort on the Belgian coast

The coast is one of my favorite scenes - outside of the tourist season - but I live in the country. Perhaps we'll move when we retire. Not yet

From La Défense in Paris, France

This was from a business trip to Paris.
Since I since negotiated doing only local projects with my employer, I spend my evenings quietly at home - or where I choose to go

08-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great entries, Bart! I'm glad you shared with us some of what you don't see all the time. They happen to be scenes I don't see often or at all, either.

I especially, enjoy the Paris night scene. I don't know if I'll ever make it back to Europe, but, Paris is on my bucket list

---------- Post added 08-12-14 at 06:43 PM ----------

Barts' entry reminded me that I forgot to change the number of images for this challenge.

I've updated the rules to include up to three images for this contest

Looking for more entries, the more the merrier...... They can be new, fresh ones too!
08-13-2014, 12:03 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Hm a fun one...

All three are from my dear little Oly XZ-1

First was not only an exotic vacation spot (for us), but this beach was the first place I was asked to take a snapshot of a pair of nice young men celebrating their honeymoon... In return, they took this very nice snap for us (a long ways past the honeymoon!).

This second shot was taken while leaning over the side railing on the platform between two railroad cars as we rattled and clanked our way down the mountainside. Got this wonderful image of the train curving around a little shelf they had constructed on the cliffside to hold us up. If we'd fallen off I bet we'd have rolled a couple thousand feet down to the valley floor, so good thing they built it well!

The final image was taken out the window of a DeHavilland Beaver on a flightseeing tour of the Misty Fjords National Monument. I took 3 cameras counting my phone that day, took *MANY* images, but after a while I found myself leaving them aside and just rubbernecking, trying to absorb it all. And failing utterly, I might add... The weather gods smiled upon us that day. The landscapes we traversed were the most jaw-droppingly stunning panoramic scenery I have ever seen in my life. I might go visit again and see a totaly different side to the area (most likely the "Misty" part...), but this shot combines the saltwater inlets with the incredible mountains plunging into the deptchs, and the rarest of blue skies shining on it all. Absolutely true to the full meaning of "Awe-inspiring" it was...

Jim
08-13-2014, 03:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chemtech Quote
Great entries, Bart! I'm glad you shared with us some of what you don't see all the time. They happen to be scenes I don't see often or at all, either.

I especially, enjoy the Paris night scene. I don't know if I'll ever make it back to Europe, but, Paris is on my bucket list

---------- Post added 08-12-14 at 06:43 PM ----------

Barts' entry reminded me that I forgot to change the number of images for this challenge.

I've updated the rules to include up to three images for this contest

Looking for more entries, the more the merrier...... They can be new, fresh ones too!
Thanks!

Last time I visited Paris as a tourist was last year of high school.
We plan to go back as well. Not that far for me

I admit I didn't notice the limit of one file. It always was three indeed.

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2014 at 12:37 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Hm a fun one...

All three are from my dear little Oly XZ-1

First was not only an exotic vacation spot (for us), but this beach was the first place I was asked to take a snapshot of a pair of nice young men celebrating their honeymoon... In return, they took this very nice snap for us (a long ways past the honeymoon!).

This second shot was taken while leaning over the side railing on the platform between two railroad cars as we rattled and clanked our way down the mountainside. Got this wonderful image of the train curving around a little shelf they had constructed on the cliffside to hold us up. If we'd fallen off I bet we'd have rolled a couple thousand feet down to the valley floor, so good thing they built it well!

The final image was taken out the window of a DeHavilland Beaver on a flightseeing tour of the Misty Fjords National Monument. I took 3 cameras counting my phone that day, took *MANY* images, but after a while I found myself leaving them aside and just rubbernecking, trying to absorb it all. And failing utterly, I might add... The weather gods smiled upon us that day. The landscapes we traversed were the most jaw-droppingly stunning panoramic scenery I have ever seen in my life. I might go visit again and see a totaly different side to the area (most likely the "Misty" part...), but this shot combines the saltwater inlets with the incredible mountains plunging into the deptchs, and the rarest of blue skies shining on it all. Absolutely true to the full meaning of "Awe-inspiring" it was...

Jim
Dazzling scenery, Jim!
08-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jim, what a great series! Your descriptions made each capture come alive and made me appreciate what you saw and felt as each was taken. Something out of the ordinary for you and for many of us as well.

I got a big warm smile when I saw the cute couple in that stunning location. Bart, started my itchy feet syndrome with Paris and now the islands are calling me.

08-14-2014, 03:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Two in one: Île de la Cité
(island of the city)
08-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Two in one: Île de la Cité
(island of the city)

What a great idea, Bart! I'm a history Buff ( trained as a history teacher), so learning about this small piece of land right in the middle of Paris made my day.
Here's hoping I get to see it someday in person.
08-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Berthillon, le meillure de l'Ile, if you go look it up, although the original does not make individual servings now, but you can taste nearby... The bridges offer interesting daily venues. This is the heart of ancient and more recent old Paris. Lovely. Paris is like none other, wherever you are. Great city.
08-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Berthillon - Île de la Cité/Île Saint Louis - Paris, France | Yelp Oh, Yumm! Jacquot, so many choices, do you have a favorite? It is so much fun to dream about visiting places such as this.
08-19-2014, 05:50 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

I spent part of the winter in India to escape the big freeze in Chicago. While there I went to the ruins in Hampi.

[IMG][/IMG]

I went back to up-state NY to visit relatives recently. While driving thru the countryside i ran across this team of horses on an Amish farm.

[IMG][/IMG]

After NY i went to visit some friends in Montreal Canada. I was told that i had to visit the old city and just use the clock tower as a guide to the main area.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ivoire; 08-19-2014 at 07:01 AM.
08-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Fine set, ivoire!
1st & 3rd especially fit the "not seeing every day" theme for me. Even "not seeing ever"
08-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Fine set, ivoire!
1st & 3rd especially fit the "not seeing every day" theme for me. Even "not seeing ever"
Thanks Bart, they are all a first for me. Even tho I grew up in the NY area I never saw an Amish horse team yoked to a fertilizer spreader.