Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Mx-1 quality/landscapes

Took the Mx-1 on a short family vacation. Due to the addition of our little monster, my ability to carry gear was limited, so my mx-1 became my "walkaround" camera, while my k5iis acted as my "baby napping artsy camera." I have to say, the MX-1 produces some excellent landscape images; great color rendition and dynamic range...some of the images even rival my k5iis "artsy" shots. All the below are straight OOC with no PP.

JPEG_6611
by T_MB, on Flickr

08-26-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great colors! It's nice to have a small, capable camera at all times! :-)
08-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Very nice! All the shots could be improved with the addition of a polarizer filter, especially since they all have water in them.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/7-pentax-compact-cameras/217280-pentax-mx...ml#post2687326One simple customization
08-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nicely done shots.

A couple spontaneous thoughts about family photography ...

I find my K-5 to be big enough that when I do carry it, the case doesn't matter so much -- it is going to be some kinda camera bag, no question about it, and I can accept that.

Whereas the MX-1 benefits from having just the right size case to carry it in. It's a little to big to fit into a normal pocket, at least for me, so I've found a small case with long strap that works well. It allows me to carry it around without feeling too conspicuous, looking like a man purse, getting in the way, or having a tired shoulder. I will actually carry the thing all day when out with the family, even if I don't plan to take any pictures. So in this way, it has become my default all-purpose carry around camera. Of course, whatever works for you, works for you.

I find the 30p video quite natural looking, sometimes preferable to the 60p I get out of my camcorder. The ergonomics, with the tilting screen, are really nice for video. I much prefer this to a swiveling screen. I wish the video capabilities were better, but for casual video of the family, it's fine.

Glad you are enjoying the MX-1, and oh, congratulations on the other "little monster".

08-26-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Mx-1 fits nicely in my "murse"---a reconditioned, reinforced army surplus ammo bag. Fits in with my smart phone, mini-tablet, keys, wallet, and glasses case....All I need for walking around. My k-01 also fits, but then I give up the macro zoom.

08-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely images, that MX-1 is in good hands.
08-26-2014, 11:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Compacts such as the MX1 can produce nice images! And of you shoot in RAW Just size is the issue!