Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2014, 11:07 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
I have a similar case on my mine, but what is that "handle" you have on it? A grip + hot shoe? Link?
for external flash and it looks cool

10-02-2014, 04:32 AM   #17
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
for external flash and it looks cool
Do you have a link for it? Looks interesting.
10-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the "it" is 40+ years old, came with Praktica film camera
occasionally they are popping up on eBay
10-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #19
Closed Account

Alright, thanks. I'll search for that camera brand, and see if i can figure out a name.

10-03-2014, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Alright, thanks. I'll search for that camera brand, and see if i can figure out a name.
That accesory is called a flash bracket. It has a hotshoe on the top. It is helpful avoid red eyes (flash is not on the lens axis) and in some cases, not so direct light (keep some shadows). It also works as a grip of course.
10-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These types of grips were pretty common for decades. I know I have one somewhere. Now I have to try to find it. Mine is from 40 or so years ago too.
11-04-2014, 02:18 AM   #22
Forum Member

My Choice was ... And High ISO with MX-1

I went with the Chrome option which I like fine. (It was also the better price which also had something to do with it!)

I was interested to read in several reviews that above 800 or 1600 ISO (depending upon the review), the MX-1 was poor to useless. I admit that the high ISO photos need lots of help in post - Lightroom in my case - but I think the attached images work fine. Both shots were originally DNG images.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 

Last edited by rrodgers; 11-05-2014 at 01:47 AM.
11-04-2014, 06:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rrodgers Quote
I went with the Chrome option which I like fine. (It was also the better price which also had something to do with it!)

I was interested to read in several reviews that above 800 or 1600 ISO (depending upon the review), the MX-1 was poor to useless. I admit that the high ISO photos need lots of help in post - Lightroom in my case - but I think the attached images work fine. Both shots were originally DNG images.
RAW images from the MX-1 are definitely GREAT up to 800, and very usable at 1600. At 3200, you may want to think about going black-and-white, because the color noise is pretty bleh, in my experience.

RRodgers, I think you might also want to look into manual white balance, especially with that second image of the grass tops; it'll really save some of that color detail. Try it out! :-)
11-04-2014, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #24
Closed Account

I think it's okay for 800 ISO work, but if I ever need to go above ISO 400 for macro shots, I just move on to something else. I see a lot of noise at 400 as it is, If I have steady hands that day, one of my most favorite things to do is shoot flowers/foliage at ISO 100 f/1.8, in macro mode, especially if there's a little distance between the subject and the background. I get a lot of nice subject isolation, smooth bokeh shots. Some of my favorites. I'm still a little up in the air, but think I've decided to forgo forking out a chunk for a Sigma 18-250/Pentax 18-135, and just taking the MX-1 when we go to Disney World, this coming February. I don't want to be the guy that slows everybody down changing lenses, so I think the focal range on the MX-1 will do the trick -- especially since it has a good macro mode. I see plenty of nice shots from the Pentax 1-135, as well as the Sigma 18-250, but I just don't see myself ever using that type of lens for anything but travel, and we don't travel often enough to justify the $300+ it would take to pick up a decent used copy. Just need to score an extra battery or two for the MX-1, should be good to go.
11-04-2014, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

I think it's okay for 800 ISO work, but if I ever need to go above ISO 400 for macro shots, I just move on to something else. I see a lot of noise at 400 as it is, If I have steady hands that day, one of my most favorite things to do is shoot flowers/foliage at ISO 100 f/1.8, in macro mode, especially if there's a little distance between the subject and the background. I get a lot of nice subject isolation, smooth bokeh shots. Some of my favorites. I'm still a little up in the air, but think I've decided to forgo forking out a chunk for a Sigma 18-250/Pentax 18-135, and just taking the MX-1 when we go to Disney World, this coming February. I don't want to be the guy that slows everybody down changing lenses, so I think the focal range on the MX-1 will do the trick -- especially since it has a good macro mode. I see plenty of nice shots from the Pentax 1-135, as well as the Sigma 18-250, but I just don't see myself ever using that type of lens for anything but travel, and we don't travel often enough to justify the $300+ it would take to pick up a decent used copy. Just need to score an extra battery or two for the MX-1, should be good to go.
The MX-1 is definitely my go to when I'm not sure what I'll need and want to cover my bases with something compact. Good choice, I think!
11-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #26
Forum Member

Hello severalsnakes,

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
RRodgers, I think you might also want to look into manual white balance, especially with that second image of the grass tops; it'll really save some of that color detail. Try it out! :-)
Thanks for your suggestion. I did play with WB and know that the image chosen bears little relation to reality. (In truth it was so dark that reality would be a very dark screen!) I was really just testing the high ISO and I chose a WB setting that I liked.

I am enjoying my MX-1. If, as seems possible, Pentax is dropping the camera from its line up, this is a great pity. Those of us with the camera are the lucky few.
11-08-2014, 06:48 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rrodgers Quote
Hello severalsnakes,

I am enjoying my MX-1. If, as seems possible, Pentax is dropping the camera from its line up, this is a great pity. Those of us with the camera are the lucky few.
I am with you on this. I have had mine for a month of so now. I got the chrome version. This is one awesome little critter. I do field service and cover quite a bit of New York state in my daily travels and I would never lug along my DSLR system as I am usually on the run. I took the following photo while filling up my vehicle at an interstate rest stop. This is how dawn looks to road warriors.

I never would have taken this photo with my K5-IIs as most service stations on NY require you to keep one hand on the pump handle while filling up.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 

Last edited by gaweidert; 11-08-2014 at 01:53 PM.
11-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by kentishrev Quote
And why?

Really interested to read your comments - whether you have one or not.
I have the black, no real reason. I knew that if I chose black I would wish I took the silver and vice versa. Still, sharp looking and does a nice job, just wish there was a flash hookup and a viewfinder, but that aside it is a nice solid capable camera, super macro is crazy good, you can touch the objet with the rim of the lens and focus.
11-26-2014, 06:17 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
the black would never look as good as silver
Do you use the flash mount you have on the case? The mx doesn't have a hot shoe.
11-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #30

No, I said I wish there was a flash hook up, though you can use the onboard flash and a slave. But as a rule for flash I use my K3, K5, Q, or dare I say Canon. (Pardon my language.) Not a pro, just a guy with a compulsive disorder. Back in the 70's and 80's a lot of folks coveted the black versions of many slrs. Being wishy washy I really don't care, like them all. My Q is white.