Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #1

MX-1. Chrome or Black

And why?

Really interested to read your comments - whether you have one or not.

09-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the chrome looks nicer (as with older film SLRs), but if you want to get that cool worn brass look, the black one is the way to go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have the black. Wanted the Chrome (to kind of match my ME Super), but I found a great deal in the Marketplace -- and pulled the trigger. I'm super-careful with all of my stuff, and generally very easy on everything I own, so it takes a while to get the worn look.
09-04-2014, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
I have the black. Wanted the Chrome (to kind of match my ME Super), but I found a great deal in the Marketplace -- and pulled the trigger. I'm super-careful with all of my stuff, and generally very easy on everything I own, so it takes a while to get the worn look.
I have the silver one. Wanted the Black (It is more stealthy), but I found a great deal in the Marketplace... and pulled the trigger.

09-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I went with black. Both models have a black plastic trim ring around the lens. I thought the silver model made that ring stand out more, in an awkward way, and somehow made it look more plasticky. Whereas with the black, the whole thing blends in. It's been about a year and I have no regrets with the black.

I guess you could look at picture and decide for yourself, if you see it the way that I do. But if I have done my job well, when you look at pictures of the silver one, you will not be able to overlook how awkward the black ring looks, and you will wonder how you could possibly overlooked that. Bwahahaha!
09-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
klh
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I guess you could look at picture and decide for yourself, if you see it the way that I do. But if I have done my job well, when you look at pictures of the silver one, you will not be able to overlook how awkward the black ring looks, and you will wonder how you could possibly overlooked that. Bwahahaha!
BOOOOO! I have the silver and liked it until now.
09-04-2014, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

I have the silver and I love the "vintage" look that it has. The silver color emphasizes that the material is metal, not plastic. There are 10,000 black (plastic) cameras out there, PERHAPS MORE. ;-) The fact that the lens housing is black plastic doesn't bother me, probably because my MAIN camera is a K-30 with a white finish. The K-30's white body sets itself apart from every lens I put on it, so the visual separation of the lens from the body is something I'm accustomed to.
09-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I have the silver and I love the "vintage" look that it has. The silver color emphasizes that the material is metal, not plastic. There are 10,000 black (plastic) cameras out there, PERHAPS MORE. ;-) The fact that the lens housing is black plastic doesn't bother me, probably because my MAIN camera is a K-30 with a white finish. The K-30's white body sets itself apart from every lens I put on it, so the visual separation of the lens from the body is something I'm accustomed to.
Agreed. I got the black, because, well - i couldn't pass up the deal. I like it's looks period, and my wife picked me up a sweet little beat up, brown, leather case for it, to boot. My K-50 is of the white variety, as well. My friends call it the stormtrooper, and thats fun too. From a looks standpoint, the most boring attached lens is definitely the white 18-55. For the MX-1, I might have to get a little rougher with it, just to bring out some of that brass ☺

09-24-2014, 06:09 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I didn't care either way. Got the black because I got a good deal on a refurb. I have the silver MX so it's nice to have something different in the MX-1, I guess.
09-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have the chrome so it would match my older film slrs.
09-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Black. The LCD screen looked more awkward on the silver than the black. The black looks more integrated and less tacked on. the pictures will look great from either version. I continue to be impressed with it's IQ, it's macro, it's tilting screen, form factor. The RAW lag; not so much.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 09-30-2014 at 12:23 AM.
09-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I think back to when the black body cameras were the rare "teaser" model so with that, I say black.
09-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

the black would never look as good as silver
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
09-30-2014, 06:25 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
the black would never look as good as silver
I have a similar case on my mine, but what is that "handle" you have on it? A grip + hot shoe? Link?
09-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I just ordered a chrome one. Sort of an homage to my trusty Spotmatic II. I am really looking forward to playing around with it. Looks like a fun little walking around camera. Blunty's review really did the trick for me.

Now, just to make you guys and gals on both side of the issue a little jealous I used my cash back bonus on my credit card and got it for $120. It should arrive next Monday. I figure for that price I can't lose.