Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fueled the Mothership: Bought a Ricoh WG-20

I've been shopping for a replacement P&S after my son lost our old one two weeks ago, and after much reading, surfing, and store hopping I settled on the WG-20. It was tough finding the perfect camera (and the WG-20 isn't perfect) but I'm very happy I ended up here. It almost came down to buying a Canon, but at the last minute it occurred to me the water proof feature was something I've been missing. I couldn't comfortably take any of my cameras skiing as I was afraid of the water damage. The fact this camera can withstand a 4.9 ft. drop is comforting too.

The more you use it the more it grows on you. Looks alone make the WG line stand out, and although I would've liked a different color, the white camera available at Target is pretty cool. The white goes nice with the aluminum on the front. The shape makes it handle well. I have trouble with electronic devices that are a bit small as many of the P&S cameras are. The longer shape of the WG-20 works for me. The bonus is my wife really likes the camera and she'll be using it as much (or more) than I will.

So, I feel good about it. The WG-20 takes very nice pictures. The colors are much better than what our old Lumix 10MP camera was spitting out. It's a good camera for the money, is easy to use, it feels solid and has some nice features. And... I supported Pentax by way of Ricoh. Nothing wrong with that.

Attached Images

Last edited by OrangeKx; 09-09-2014 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Fixed typos.
09-09-2014, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice happy camper report! Lovely shots too.
09-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I've been looking at this camera as a present to my granddaughter. I have a few questions for you.
1. Is it small enough to fit in a pocket?
2. How good is the zoom range?
3, Is it really waterproof or just water resistant?

My granddaughter wants something that will get her better zoom than her cell phone. I wanted to get her something she couldn't destroy easily. She is a bit clumsy, but she isn't a child, per se, she'll be 22 in January next year.

I've looked at prices online and think this is the better priced camera for my wallet.
09-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
photolady95:

To answer your questions:
1) Yes, it fits nicely in a pocket. It's not as thin as most P&S, but still very pocket-able.
2) The optical zoom is 5x. It's just OK. It's good enough but I wish it had more. You can add to that a bit of digital zoom, but the loss in IQ is obvious at the far end. In fact, I deselected digital zoom because I'm not willing to sacrifice the IQ for a small amount of additional reach.
3) The camera boasts that it's waterproof, dustproof and shockproof. It's waterproof down to 10 meters (32.8 ft.) for 2 continuous hours. (I haven't actually had it in water yet.)

The shockproof feature means the camera can withstand a 4.9 ft. drop. It's also cold proof to 14 degrees F. These are good specs for me as I plan to take it skiing.

For $159.99 (sale price at Target) it's a good deal in my opinion. I would add one thing, the back screen scratches easily so I would immediately put a plastic screen protector on it. I cut a cell phone screen protector I had for an iPhone to fit last night so as not to add more to the small scratch I got in the first 24 hrs of ownership.

The one thing I've noticed about the camera is the more I use it the more I like it; it really grows on you. I think the "cool factor" kicks in when you have the thing in-hand and use it. The WG-20 doesn't have the same sensor as the other (more expensive) WG cameras, but the camera takes very nice pictures (has a 14MP sensor).

I'm with you on price. I had a budget of less than $200 to replace my P&S but was hoping to stay closer to $150 and did thanks to the Sale price. One thing to keep in mind, at Target they give you 30-days to return it if you don't like it. Mine's not going back.

Good luck.

Last edited by OrangeKx; 09-10-2014 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Added text.
09-10-2014, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Thanks for answering my questions. And adding more info to help me make this decision. I still have a month or two to decide yes or no on this purchase.