Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Q Raw file size huge

Hi All,

I just joined the Q family recently, and found the camera is a joy to use with both 01 and 02 lenses. I shoot RAW+ and found that each of the 12 MP raw file size is around 20 MB, that's comparable to the raw file size I get from my K30 which is 16 MP. Is there way to reduce the Q's raw file size losslessly?

Thanks.

Joey

09-21-2014, 04:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome!
Are you using the latest firmware on your camera?
09-21-2014, 04:03 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Lower your ISO and your raw files will become smaller. Higher ISOs mean more noise, which makes lossless compression less effective. This issue doesn't affect JPEGs since they use lossy compression.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LightBug Quote
Is there way to reduce the Q's raw file size losslessly?
In camera, apparently not,
although you could run an algorithm on the files in your hard drives later.

The RAW files coming from my original Q cameras seem to have hardly any compression,
and end up fluctuating around 20 MB in size, regardless of ISO or the nature of the image.

Of course, the JPEGs vary widely, from around 1.5 MB
to an amazing maximum of around 5.25 MB at ISO 125 from the grossly underestimated 03 fisheye!
The in-camera RAW of that image was almost 23 MB.

09-23-2014, 01:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for your replies so far. Yes I have the latest firmware. I guess I'll have to just live with the large raw files.
09-23-2014, 05:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LightBug Quote
Thanks all for your replies so far. Yes I have the latest firmware. I guess I'll have to just live with the large raw files.
Joey, are you staying with the Q? I saw you'd got one up for sale here on the Marketplace.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/273732-sal...body-only.html
09-24-2014, 11:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Joey, are you staying with the Q? I saw you'd got one up for sale here on the Marketplace.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/273732-sal...body-only.html
Yes, I am still using the Q. I have two kits, just selling one body that I'm not using.