Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Buy a Pentax X-5 or what else?

I want to buy a camera to gift it to my woman.
I'm from Italy but she is from Puerto Rico, United States, so I think I am going to buy it through Amazon so they can ship it directly to her.

I am searching for a cheap "bridge" camera. I have found the X-5 at 230 $ on amazon, B&H and Adorama don't have it (and I neither know if they can ship in a different country from Italy if I pay from here).

The question is: do you think I can buy another camera (brand is not important) that is better for the same price (more or less)?
I am not searching for more megapixel, but if I can found a similar camera with raw files would be the best.
Unfortunately my budget is low and I know that I can't ask for the moon, but I know that in this forum there are always dozens of kind people more expert than me.

10-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fuji makes some nice bridge cameras. I don't really know how they compare with the X-5. Most should let you save RAW files, though, that's good.
10-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Fuji makes some nice bridge cameras. I don't really know how they compare with the X-5. Most should let you save RAW files, though, that's good.
thank you, I'll check!
10-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
I want to buy a camera to gift it to my woman.
I'm from Italy but she is from Puerto Rico, United States, so I think I am going to buy it through Amazon so they can ship it directly to her.

I am searching for a cheap "bridge" camera. I have found the X-5 at 230 $ on amazon, B&H and Adorama don't have it (and I neither know if they can ship in a different country from Italy if I pay from here).

The question is: do you think I can buy another camera (brand is not important) that is better for the same price (more or less)?
I am not searching for more megapixel, but if I can found a similar camera with raw files would be the best.
Unfortunately my budget is low and I know that I can't ask for the moon, but I know that in this forum there are always dozens of kind people more expert than me.
Nikon also has some decent (and more modern) ones. Just browse by the latest and you'll find some better alternatives.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Nikon also has some decent (and more modern) ones. Just browse by the latest and you'll find some better alternatives.
Thank you Adam, I'll give a look to nikon too!
10-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Ciao Flavio! Cerco la stessa cosa... finora, i migliori sono: Fujifilm S1, Panasonic FZ200, Sony HX400V. Penso che la Fuji e probabilmente la migliore, con RAW.
10-16-2014, 12:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've been happy with what I've seen from Panasonic, and I owned a nice little FZ8. The FZ70 is highly rated and should do very nicely. Panasonic is one of the most reliable brands too - I foolishly bought an extended warranty on my FZ8.

Amazon.com : Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70 16.1 MP Digital Camera with 60x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (Black) : Point And Shoot Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-fz70/panasonic-fz70A.HTM

10-16-2014, 02:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Ciao Flavio! Cerco la stessa cosa... finora, i migliori sono: Fujifilm S1, Panasonic FZ200, Sony HX400V. Penso che la Fuji e probabilmente la migliore, con RAW.
Ciao Panoguy, grazie della segnalazione, ma purtroppo sono ben oltre il mio budget. Inoltre ti chiedo di scrivere in inglese cosė che tutti possano capire.

---------- Post added 10-16-14 at 02:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I've been happy with what I've seen from Panasonic, and I owned a nice little FZ8. The FZ70 is highly rated and should do very nicely. Panasonic is one of the most reliable brands too - I foolishly bought an extended warranty on my FZ8.
Thank you for sharing your experiences, later I will give a look, even if it is a little bit out of my budget.
10-16-2014, 05:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
Ciao Panoguy, grazie della segnalazione, ma purtroppo sono ben oltre il mio budget. Inoltre ti chiedo di scrivere in inglese cosė che tutti possano capire.
Chiedo scusa... tempo fa lavorato a Vicenza.

I re-reard your budget after I posted those links. I've been looking for a combination of long zoom, articulating screen, and decent EVF/LCD resolution (which the X5 and XG1 still lack), which I guess tends to push the price up a bit.

It seems Sony and Panasonic make the best cameras in this category, with some that are pretty affordable for their features.
10-16-2014, 06:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote

It seems Sony and Panasonic make the best cameras in this category, with some that are pretty affordable for their features.
Sorry but your italian was perfect and I was thinking that you were italian!

Yes, I noticed that Pentax is not the best brand for point and shoot, it is not their speciality. Unfortunately I have a low budget and the choose for that amount is very little. Next weekend I will make a big research about all the suggestions you all gave me in this thread and I will see if I can find something better.
11-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My wife was impressed with Q and 01 lens. She thought it looked like jewelry. With 02 lens the Q is a little large in size, but still lightweight enough to not be a burden. Plus Q series cameras are really Qute!
11-11-2014, 01:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LightBug Quote
My wife was impressed with Q and 01 lens. She thought it looked like jewelry. With 02 lens the Q is a little large in size, but still lightweight enough to not be a burden. Plus Q series cameras are really Qute!
Yes, but I was looking for an all-in-one solution, so that the person who is going to receive it can use it without the need to buy lenses. Then, if she will start to use it in manual mode and to go more into the photography, a DSLR or a Q will be the next step!

In the end I have taken the Pentax X-5 because for the same amount on amazon I can't find something better but cameras that they flagged as "not ship to Puerto Rico".
11-11-2014, 01:58 AM   #13

Pentax seems the best option on this price range it has view finder and nice iso range.
Pentax X-5 Competitors
i know that this site is crap, but you can compare cameras so fast
11-11-2014, 02:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Lens Quote
Pentax seems the best option on this price range it has view finder and nice iso range.
Pentax X-5 Competitors
i know that this site is crap, but you can compare cameras so fast
Thank you, I use snapsort sometimes, I think that it is very useful for comparison of the cameras. Obviously it is not conclusive, but a good tool.

I have already bought the camera I was looking for, but maybe someone else needs help.
11-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Hi Flavio.
An Fz-28 passed through my hands and it's a great camera.
I believe the Fz-200 is even better, at least stats-wise, maybe it's pricier.
The X-5 should be cheaper and a capable machine nonetheless.