Forum Member

Ricoh WG-M1 review

I've found one review on one of the sites I visit, maybe someone is interested:

Ricoh WG-M1 Review - webBikeWorld

The review seems done well to me.

11-08-2014, 02:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bike-oriented, but an interesting read nonetheless!
11-08-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Bike-oriented, but an interesting read nonetheless!
The better reviews should always come from the target audience(s). I thought it was well done.
11-08-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bryce K Quote
The better reviews should always come from the target audience(s). I thought it was well done.
That's reasonable.
But what's the target audience?
snorkelers? divers? motorbikers? road bikers? mtb-ers? runners? trekkers? alpinists? etc.
Different needs for each category, so a slightly different perspective each time.
I'm not much interested in motorbikes, but I am in road bikes, for instance. Completely different speeds, mountings, etc.

11-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
Forum Member

That's reasonable.
snorkelers? divers? motorbikers? road bikers? mtb-ers? runners? trekkers? alpinists? etc.
Different needs for each category, so a slightly different perspective each time.
I'm not much interested in motorbikes, but I am in road bikes, for instance. Completely different speeds, mountings, etc.
Well, that's why I put "audience(s)". I understand that there are many. My point being that for what really amounts to a specialty camera I would be more interested in reading reviews from motorcyclists/bicyclists/surfers, et al than one from a strictly photographic point of view. Those users may have perspective that I wouldn't even think of.
11-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's reasonable.
This little camera is for capturing whatever you want to use it for and it seems to be built to survive quite a bit of abuse. Plus it looks way cooler than a GoPro. I thought the review was very good. Simple low key assessment of how it works out for them. All data is good data.

Too bad this wasn't around 45 years ago. I could have documented myself creating all those cool skiing and boarding moves that you now see guys like Shaun White doing. Now of course, they do them on purpose.
11-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
This little camera is for capturing whatever you want to use it for and it seems to be built to survive quite a bit of abuse. Plus it looks way cooler than a GoPro. I thought the review was very good. Simple low key assessment of how it works out for them. All data is good data.
True, and +1 on the looks! I've always liked the WG line as well, and this is pretty similar...

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Too bad this wasn't around 45 years ago. I could have documented myself creating all those cool skiing and boarding moves that you now see guys like Shaun White doing. Now of course, they do them on purpose.
I'm sure you weren't bad either...

11-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
True, and +1 on the looks! I've always liked the WG line as well, and this is pretty similar...

I'm sure you weren't bad either...
Actually I was just starting out. And I was just that bad. I can still remember one of my more spectacular spills. Went off a mogul and landed in some wet heavy snow. My skis liked the wet heavy snow and decided to stay there. However; my body hated the stuff and decided to keep on going. All remember is three massive blows to my body and everyone skiing up to me asking if I was okay.
12-04-2014, 05:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems to e a really nice option for people. I know I was impressed with the video from the WG-3, this seems to be a expansion on that. I know the WG-3 has a bike mount, but this appears to be a little better suited for that application. Pentax is making huge steps in video. I am really looking forward to what they will do next.