Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2014, 02:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Should Pentax/Ricoh Launch Mobile

Looking at new Mobile photography market, should Ricoh launch new Mobiles with better camera. WG compacts are already great, if they can incorporate them into a bit slimmer design they would be a winner. Nokia launched its 808 and 1020 phones with better camera's and they sold pretty well, only down point was the OS, if Ricoh can launch it with Android surely it would be good for everyone. Still no Camera manufacturer has jumped into this bandwagon.

11-15-2014, 02:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Consider even that if you buy a Nokia, a good phone manufacturer, you would be surprised about the good quality of the camera. If you buy a Ricoh, a good camera manufacturer, you would be disappointed, because you would expect more than that quality just because their standard is higher.

The new iPhone is considered great from a lot of people because "finally the battery works from the morning to evening almost always", the Samsung galaxy S 5 is considered from someone "a robbery" because "for that amount I don't like the idea of putting it in charge every day".
Samsung is cheaper than iPhone (at least here).
11-15-2014, 02:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The smartphone market has become a highly competitive one, with some interesting offers from cheap Chinese manufacturers (Xiaomi, Oppo, One+...) that can produce powerful handsets at a bargain price.
The best thing Ricoh coul do, IMHO, is to start a partnership with a smartphone producer and supply camera modules.
A Pentax-branded smartphone would be a nice thing, maybe not at the same level of a Zeiss-branded one, but close.
11-15-2014, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
HYS

"Should Pentax/Ricoh Launch Mobile" - Yes! I hope - full frame!

11-15-2014, 02:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
"Should Pentax/Ricoh Launch Mobile" - Yes! I hope - full frame!

Yes, definitely a full frame phone is what everyone of use needs!
11-15-2014, 03:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote

Yes, definitely a full frame phone is what everyone of use needs!
Many TACS early mobile phones were larger than the Sony a7...
11-15-2014, 03:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Many TACS early mobile phones were larger than the Sony a7...
That's true!

But in that era it was so cool to have a mobile that no one was worrying about the backache caused by the heavy phones...
11-15-2014, 03:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
The smartphone market has become a highly competitive one, with some interesting offers from cheap Chinese manufacturers (Xiaomi, Oppo, One+...) that can produce powerful handsets at a bargain price.
The best thing Ricoh coul do, IMHO, is to start a partnership with a smartphone producer and supply camera modules.
A Pentax-branded smartphone would be a nice thing, maybe not at the same level of a Zeiss-branded one, but close.
Ricoh can partner with or start its own handset development, given people are using phones for photography its a huge market, plus I would love to have a Pentax phone with me instead of Nokia/Iphone/Samesung

11-15-2014, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madhurvyas Quote
Ricoh can partner with or start its own handset development, given people are using phones for photography its a huge market, plus I would love to have a Pentax phone with me instead of Nokia/Iphone/Samesung
BTW, now that I think of it... wasn't there a rumor about Ricoh-branded cameras in smartphones some time ago?
11-15-2014, 04:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Mot of the phonemakers re bleeding money right now, only Samsung and Apple are doing really well, but with falling margins.
11-15-2014, 04:27 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Mot of the phonemakers re bleeding money right now, only Samsung and Apple are doing really well, but with falling margins.
I wouldn't be so sure about it...
Those who once were big players, yes.
New (Chinese) up-and-comers, not so sure... and the best part is that performance is very high! Samsung, OTOH is resting on its laurels...
(BTW I hate the childish interface of, say, Huawei, and the over-simplified of the One+, but it's Android so you can change it as you like...)
11-15-2014, 05:16 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Only if it can also mount legacy glass.
11-15-2014, 05:45 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Only if it can also mount legacy glass.
If they make it FF, I expect this to be a given...
(the phone, not the K-FF...)

Last edited by LensBeginner; 11-15-2014 at 06:05 AM.
11-15-2014, 05:51 AM   #14
Pentaxian

So, if I have understood what you want, you are hoping for a "phone feature" inside the next full frame!
11-15-2014, 06:19 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would like a WR Q mount camera with Android. Would be a killer combo