Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 06:19 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MX-1 - Hyperfocal Focusing

Many of us MX users understand the camera's potential and its limitiations. One of the limitations being at times slow focusing. I am looking for the equivilant focusing scale much like what is found on a SLR lens. Essentially you can select the aperature and focus setting that will allow for a anything X ft way from the lens to be in focus.I have been unable to find an equivilant chart for the MX-1. Do any of you know if this is out there. If no... Can we pool together our findings to make one?

Personally, I would enjoy setting my camera to manual focus and the camera to AV mode and just shoot away.

Thanks!

12-04-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I believe a DoF/Hyperfocal distance calculator like this one
Online Depth of Field Calculator
could be of some help.
There also are apps for smartphones so you can have one with you at all times.

I'm not familiar with the MX, but I don't believe there's anything rotating (focus ring) on the outside, so I don't think you could make a sticker with figures on it, also it's a zoom so it's not practical...
You can recall seeing hyperfocal curves on the barrel of those old pull-out zooms... not the most practical of things... besides, many of the hyperfocal scales on primes are to be taken with a grain of salt... they're quite inaccurate, to be polite...
12-04-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Wait, doesn't that camera have a "pan focus" mode (PF in the focus menu), which is essentially automatic hyperfocal?
12-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My thought, too Na Horuk. I have used pan focus on my MX-1 as a sort of hyperfocal focus setting for certain situations (discreet street shots, etc)

12-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And... actually you can set it to manual focus and Av mode? And the small sensor really enhances DOF anyway, right?
12-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Wait, doesn't that camera have a "pan focus" mode (PF in the focus menu), which is essentially automatic hyperfocal?
Yes, the MX-1 has an additional feature too. It will automatically go to PF if you just mash down the shutter release without stopping halfway for focus first. With that you don't really even need to use the PF setting. Just leave it in normal AF mode and if you have a situation that requires PF just mash the shutter release down.

Shawn
12-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
Yes, the MX-1 has an additional feature too. It will automatically go to PF if you just mash down the shutter release without stopping halfway for focus first. With that you don't really even need to use the PF setting. Just leave it in normal AF mode and if you have a situation that requires PF just mash the shutter release down.
Oh, I didn't know that! Sounds really useful!
12-06-2014, 11:47 PM   #8

The following site goes in depth about hyperfocal focusing and the Ricoh GR.

We could adapt this to the MX-1 as well? The sensor is much smaller, so it should be even easier.

Ricoh GR: Hyperfocal Distance and Combining it with Snap Focus