Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2015, 05:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never again, lent out my camera

Lent my MX-1 to a friend. He dropped it off totally filthy. What is the best way to clean smudges, dirt, etc. off a non WR camera?

01-29-2015, 06:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

A rocket blower, some lens cleaning fluid (or perhaps isopropyl alcohol) and a lint-free cloth/lens cleaning wipes.

My story: I lent out my Minolta Dimage 7i to a friend and his wife for their trip to Colorado. He returns the camera to me, and a few weeks later I go to use the camera and feel this awful grinding when zooming.

I had to take it apart to find that, while he was visiting White Sands National Park (sand dunes) he used my camera, without any protection, in the howling winds. [Edit to add: He knew about it but declined to tell me. I still to this day give him grief over it.]

The good news is that I disassembled the camera, got as much sand out as possible, and it returned to tip-top shape. I believe my sister still uses the camera!
01-29-2015, 06:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
Lent my MX-1 to a friend. He dropped it off totally filthy. What is the best way to clean smudges, dirt, etc. off a non WR camera?
The BEST way? Get your friend to pay for a CLA... LOL
01-29-2015, 07:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Another story:

A good friend and I went hiking/photographing in northeastern Pennsylvania. (Pics are here, if you're interested.) My friend left his Gorillapod at one of the falls, so I agreed to hold his camera (a Fuji X-A1) while he went back to get it. I immediately secured his bag to my waist belt.

So I take some photos at one waterfall and move down to the next. Since we were bushwhacking, the only way down was through, and I got to a spot with a big (but navigable) drop. I had to climb down some narrow ledges, which I couldn't do with my backpack on...so I instinctively unsecure my waist belt...

It was the slowest roll in the history of camera accidents. In what seemed an eternity, his bag (with the Fuji X-A1 & 16-50 in it) plopped right in the water.

By the time I plucked it out, the bag had filled with water. I popped out the battery and opened all the slots, and dried it for a week. Ultimately I just bought him a new camera, and kept his old one (which works, believe it or not!) for potentially converting it to infrared.

01-29-2015, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow! A true friend would never return an item that was not in the same condition he received it in. If it was damaged, they should be upfront & admit it, and offer to pay for repair, or replacement.

Carpents; good for you!!
01-29-2015, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I only lend things that I don't mind if they get trashed. My sister in law, borrowed my underwater camera for snorkelling in the Caribbean, she changed film on the beach, got sand in the rubber seals and it leaked. She never gave me a cent for it. Replacement cost? $400. DOn't lend anything to anyone, if you can't afford to lose it.

She took it to a repair guys who explained to her that she'd ruined it. So it's not like she didn't understand the situation.
01-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
...DOn't lend anything to anyone, if you can't afford to lose it...
True. And nothing is indestructible when lent, not even a hammer. My mother lent my drill bits, a hammer and a few other tools to a "good" neighbor without asking me.

All of the tools were returned dirty. Almost all of of the bits, except two, were broken and the hammer, yes the hammer's head was no longer perpendicular to the handle and was completely useless. And the "good" neighbor just dropped off all the tools in our yard with nary a word. In fairness, they were complete, including the broken bits. I was aghast and never spoke to that neighbor again.

01-29-2015, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I take more care of things that are not mine than of my own things; I cannot understand how "friends" can be like that.
01-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

A friend who writes a political blog asked if he could borrow a camera for a couple of days. I loaned him my Nikon D7000 kit, since I wasn't using it. I didn't see it or him again for five months. Turns out he was touring the state, attending various demonstrations regarding state propositions and ballot initiatives. I eventually phoned him and told him the kit was for sale for $2000, should he find any takers. He returned the camera two days later (a few weeks after the election) and asked me to copy the pictures from the camera for him. In all that time, he had only taken about a dozen photos, mostly blurry or over-exposed. He just liked wearing it around his neck because it seemed to get him better access to where the action was. The camera was fine and went back to not being used. I eventually got about $1800 for the kit.

Last edited by AquaDome; 01-30-2015 at 10:34 AM. Reason: typo
01-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

There should be a past tense for the word "friend". LOL
01-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
There should be a past tense for the word "friend". LOL
I think the term might be EX friend like in Ex wife etc.
I never loan my camera gear to anyone unless it's my old stuff. I loaned my K10D to friend who's stuff was unavailable for a time but only when we went out together. As far as the sister mentioned earlier one idea might be at christmas time to give her a box with note inside saying you had taken X amount off her bill for the housing.
01-29-2015, 01:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

and well, sh*t happens, but do not ignore it or try to cover it.
01-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

One of my relatives asked to borrow one of my DSLR's once while he was here on vacation. He'd forgotten his camera at home and wanted to try out a DSLR to see if he would like it. I said HECK NO, well something very like that anyway. :P I gave him an old 6MP pocket digital and told him to have fun. He was clearly much put out that I wouldn't let him have one for a few days but there was NO way. I have been known to give old cameras that I don't need to my nieces and their friends but they have been well drilled in how to use them and how to take care of them and if something happened to said camera it would not matter because ultimately it's theirs and it's not a camera I am using much if at all. Hand over one of my own personal cameras though? Oh no.

I don't share my computers, cameras, or lenses with anyone who is not 100% qualified to use them. I would and have let my two teachers touch my gear but that's it. I sure as heck would not just hand over my gear to anyone else, particularly to someone who has no clue when it comes to properly using it. Even my Dad is not allowed on my new PC. I used to share the old one with him but at this point he can't see well enough to use one and I just end up doing everything for him anyway so there is no real point in him having an account on my new PC. Frankly while I lament his fading eyesight I am not unhappy that I don't have to let him on my main computer anymore. My electronics they're very personal things to me and I am very particular about their use and maintenance.

When it comes to other stuff I'm a bit more lenient but even then I have a strict "You break it you pay for it." policy and I do let people know that. I'm kind of leery about lending my stuff in general though. The few times I have I've been lucky to get the item back. It's always been a problem particularly with books and clothes. I've lost quite a few books that way over the years and several items of clothing besides. At this point I'm very picky about who I lend my things to.
01-29-2015, 03:33 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shakespeare got it right: "Neither a borrower nor a lender be".
And that is the creed I live by.
01-29-2015, 04:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Wow. Those people... Should I borrow something I'd take more care of it than if it was my own. Heck, I treat rental cars better than my own. What's wrong with people...

I did once lend a friend a camera during a trip, but that was my old P&S once I had a DSLR, and I was on the same trip, so I saw my camera all the time and could make sure it was taken care of well.