Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 156 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Man, I need another camera like I need a hole in the head, but what a unique way to shoot. I was biking to work this morning and got to a street corner with a traffic accident on one corner, a construction worker on another, and shady, funky businesses on the other two. Would have made an amazing Theta shot!
You're seeing in Theta-vision! :-D

04-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
You're seeing in Theta-vision! :-D
Hahaha, I love it. Did you just make that up?
04-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Hahaha, I love it. Did you just make that up?
I did! At least, I've never heard it before... but it's catchy, isn't it?
04-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did! At least, I've never heard it before... but it's catchy, isn't it?
It's really awesome, you should try to get that to catch!

04-19-2016, 05:23 PM   #125
Veteran Member

Again with the Theta S

(Don't judge my backyard, please. :-P)

I held the Theta up on the SelfieWorld selfie stick right above my head, used the 5-second self-timer to fire the shutter.

There is some weird banding in the sky/clouds, but I'm pretty happy with it over all. I did try to tame the harsh edges of the bands by putting a "white-sky" colored layer beneath and partial-opacity-erasing the edge parts. It's not amazing, but I promise I only made the banding better - the really ugly banding I didn't even touch because I really didn't know how to resolve it. lol!

Theta Image
04-22-2016, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #126
Veteran Member

Bridal Cave Tour in 360!

Theta Image

Theta Image

Theta Image

Theta Image

Theta Image

Theta Image

Theta Image

Theta Image

Theta Image

Theta Image

Theta Image

And some general Lake of the Ozarks shots. :-)

Theta Image

Theta Image

Theta Image

Theta Image
04-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Holy cow, that cave tour is great!

04-26-2016, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #128
Veteran Member

Hiking to Vernal Falls in Yosemite NP
Theta Image

Theta Image

Theta Image
04-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uday029 Quote
Hiking to Vernal Falls in Yosemite NP
Great! Beautiful location, and I love that last one - great use of the selfie stick. :-)
04-28-2016, 06:28 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Looks like the ISS is doing VR now!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/europeanspaceagency/26599440852/

Not likely a Theta though.
04-30-2016, 05:43 AM   #131
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
... This one is just the Theta S on a selfie stick standing on top of the mini Manfrotto...
while balanced on a spinning plate.. nothing but net.

... HDR capture with some toning-down of the kooky HDR colors, and a boost to contrast and clarity.
I have become interested in this thing. I regularly by things I can get by without but this would be a thing I truly do not need. Still, I can see it as a fun thing to use in a few train stations I have passed through... other stuff..

I have a couple questions..

I have been hunting the internet and found some notes at Imaging Resource. Are you aware of other reviews?

Do you think any version of PS Elements could edit the file to clone you out and not break whatever it is that makes the image be read as spherical? I have v10 or so..

> > When using the self timer available with the new firmware update, must the phone app be used each time or is it possible to set the self timer, have the camera remember this even when turned off, and so not have to 'app up'? I think it would be faster to operate without having to connect the phone to the camera to set timer... I could see this being an often used mode to allow time o duck out of sight.

I read that it is possible to reposition video camera 'view' after the fact just as it is possible to scroll around for different view of a still image..

Is it possible to just record and later decide which part of the sphere to use for the video? Is it possible to move/scroll around while the movie is later replayed..?

++ I found another element of the review at IR and it is possible to scroll around within a video... so, I have answered my own question.

If so, this would have been very fun to use while walking through crowded souk with scooters and carts and other stuff. Not that I would hold this thing over my head while walking.. not there. Oh, I could attach the camera to the bottom of an umbrella and everyone would think I am a guide. Prb solved !

I lived in OP 10 yrs and often made a triangle driving btwn there and Boonville and Springfield for work. + I see you have a Rokinon fish eye. I recently purchased a little 4/3 camera as an upgrade to a point/shoot. I have a kit zoom and a Rokinon 7.5mm FE. I have wanted a FE but I really try to keep weight down when I travel so the larger 8mm? version was not interesting..

Last edited by Tan68; 04-30-2016 at 08:45 AM.
04-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
I have a couple questions..

I have been hunting the internet and found some notes at Imaging Resource. Are you aware of other reviews?
I've read reviews here and there, but it really didn't have much impact on whether or not I wanted one. I knew I had to have it after borrowing an original Theta360 from a fellow forum member. :-)

Do you think any version of PS Elements could edit the file to clone you out and not break whatever it is that makes the image be read as spherical? I have v10 or so..
I think so! I have used the clone/heal tool to take out pieces here and there. You just have to keep in mind that the top and bottom "edges" of the flattened image are distorted, so your layer must also be similarly distorted, otherwise it will look... "distorted"! when you attempt to view it in a spherical viewer.

There are a couple general tricks to engage: Hold the camera high above your head and there will be basically nothing of you in the spherical image (because the Theta hides its own footprint) - a selfie stick helps here. Shoot two shots with identical positioning and exposure and just use one to clone yourself out of the other. Or, obviously, hide from the camera and use the smartphone app to fire the shutter.

> > When using the self timer available with the new firmware update, must the phone app be used each time or is it possible to set the self timer, have the camera remember this even when turned off, and so not have to 'app up'? I think it would be faster to operate without having to connect the phone to the camera to set timer... I could see this being an often used mode to allow time o duck out of sight.
The self timer is GREAT! You have to hold the WiFi button while powering on to engage this mode - you do NOT have to use the smartphone app. The default timer is 5 seconds, but you can change it to 2 or 10 seconds via the app. If you change the timer delay in the app, the camera will remember it the next time you engage the self timer mode, even if you have powered down and used other modes in-between. For example, I used the app to change the self timer mode from 5 to 10 seconds via the app. The next time I engaged the self-timer mode (days later and after many Theta uses), the self timer counted down from 10 seconds, even though I was not using the smartphone app to change the timer length. This is handy! but I was expecting the 5-second timer, so it was a little awkward. lol

I read that it is possible to reposition video camera 'view' after the fact just as it is possible to scroll around for different view of a still image..

Is it possible to just record and later decide which part of the sphere to use for the video? Is it possible to move/scroll around while the movie is later replayed..?

++ I found another element of the review at IR and it is possible to scroll around within a video... so, I have answered my own question.

If so, this would have been very fun to use while walking through crowded souk with scooters and carts and other stuff. Not that I would hold this thing over my head while walking.. not there. Oh, I could attach the camera to the bottom of an umbrella and everyone would think I am a guide. Prb solved !
Honestly, I have only used the video mode a couple times and ended up deleting the videos. I'm just more of a stills person! I have no insight, here! :-)

I lived in OP 10 yrs and often made a triangle driving btwn there and Boonville and Springfield for work. + I see you have a Rokinon fish eye. I recently purchased a little 4/3 camera as an upgrade to a point/shoot. I have a kit zoom and a Rokinon 7.5mm FE. I have wanted a FE but I really try to keep weight down when I travel so the larger 8mm? version was not interesting..
A local, eh? ^_^ We go to Overland Park quite a bit - lots of family and friends live there.

The Rokinon 8/3.5 fish eye is massive, but I love it! Great image quality and easy to use - one of my all-time favorite lenses.
04-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #133
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The behavior of the self timer is great for me. I am not an app person and it should save battery as well.

I am not much for video, either. I have taken a few, though, with the p/s camera and these were to illustrate things like driving through a 1-lane tunnel or how scooters dodge people in some souks.. weird stuff.

I can think of several times I would like to have had a camera like this.. so, I think I will get one for travel. I am pretty selfie-resistant so I may have pack a Groucho Marx mask to disguise me.

Thanks for the quick reply
I now live on the left side of the Rockies in Colorado...!
05-11-2016, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #134
Veteran Member

Finally, soon we will be able to share 360 photos on Facebook.
Facebook is Bringing Interactive 360° Photos to Your News Feed
05-16-2016, 07:24 AM   #135
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Theta Image