Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2015, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #1

My MX1 first impressions

Well, the MX1 I won on the 'bay for a keen price just showed up. It has an image count of 0241 on it.

Very clean, very nice. I like the feel of it to hold. I have big hands and there's room to manipulate the buttons. As others have noted, the strap lug position means the camera tilts upwards when hanging on the strap. It might look naff, but it could be regarded as a feature. It protects the LCD from rubbing up against shirt buttons. No bad thing.

I've added a few images. One of the camera itself. Then a lowish light test in my front room. Colours seem faithful, and the image is reasonably noise free. The 100% crop shows nice details and even falloff from highlights.

So far so good. Now I'll go for a wander on this sunny summer day and see what I can find.

Back later...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-HX50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
06-04-2015, 06:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats..it's a nice camera, capable of very decent shots, if you choose to go RAW!
06-04-2015, 08:00 AM   #3

Original Poster
Sage advice. Note to self: Don't attempt 'street' shots in HDR mode when the subject is on the move .
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
06-04-2015, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
I'm liking this camera. It encourages experimentation. The menus are very 'Q' like, so that's familiar. This is a nice lens with a useful zoom range. The strong HDR mode has a 'processed' look about it, but it certainly turns a boring hazy shot to horizon more interesting!

Here are a few I took while I was out on my strollabout.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
06-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I broke my leg, and so was out of work for an extended period, and to make ends meet I had to compromise my collection. Sadly I let the MX-1 go. I sold it on eBay for a ridiculously low price. Like many people I just wish it had a viewfinder, The MX-1 is terribly under-rated. I wonder if there will be a follow-up model.
06-04-2015, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Used a MX-1 for this shot.
06-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #7

Original Poster
David: Sorry to hear about the leg, all good now I hope. Now's the time to pick up another MX1, I was amazed how low the price was for this underappreciated camera. I have a cunning plan concerning a viewfinder. More on that soon.

Spodeworld: Great lighting, and nteresting architecture, where's the location?
06-04-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Thanks...it is on the banks of the Hudson River (NJ side) directly across from Midtown Manhattan. So close to Manhattan, yet so out of touch.

It's really a nice little camera.

Waiting to see what you have in mind for a view finder.

Steve

QuoteOriginally posted by Rog Tallbloke Quote
David: Sorry to hear about the leg, all good now I hope. Now's the time to pick up another MX1, I was amazed how low the price was for this underappreciated camera. I have a cunning plan concerning a viewfinder. More on that soon.

Spodeworld: Great lighting, and nteresting architecture, where's the location?

06-04-2015, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote

Waiting to see what you have in mind for a view finder.

Steve
A long time ago I served a four year apprenticeship as a toolmaker. There's another premium compact camera with the same focal length range, which has a zooming optical viewfinder; the Fujifilm X10. There was one on the 'bay with a lens "stuck in the off position". I won it for a few pounds. If I can't fix the lens, I'm going to pull the viewfinder out of it and have a close look at how it is mechanically coupled to the lens. It might be possible to graft it onto the MX1 without unscrewing the case if I can use the lens travel as my motive power.
06-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got one last fall when hey were going for about $250 new. I got one through Amazon and since I had a good cash reward built up it cost me all of $120 with shipping. I love the camera. And it is a B&W powerhouse. I do wish that it had a viewfinder, Other than that it is just about a perfect walking around camera. Awesome macro ability too.
06-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Used a MX-1 for this shot.
Something sinister about that place. Good shot tho
06-05-2015, 10:51 PM   #12

Original Poster
Another small note on handling. Some people were criticising the tilting LCD, saying it's ugly because it juts out from the back of the camera in the folded position. I'm finding that useful, because when the tip of my thumb registers against the edge of the LCD, the control buttons and dial fall nicely under the pad of my thumb so I can find and press them easily without having to take my eyes off the scene I'm composing.

I was wondering what alternative people who found the lack of viewfinder a deal breaker chose. Fuji X20? Olympus Stylus 1?
06-05-2015, 11:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

My MX1 is the camera that is always in my backpack wherever I go; it just sort of happened. I managed to get over the lack of viewfinder by using it at waist level almost all the time; way unobtrusive. It's become sort of my digital TLR that way. I only hope it lasts long enough to be considered really, really, obsolete.
06-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #14

Original Poster
I can see how people become attached to the MX1. It has a feeling of solidity and permanence to it. I got the same feeling from my Ricoh GXR kit.
The busted X10 arrived, and the lens is well and truly jammed, so it looks like the MX1 viewfinder project will go ahead. Having looked at the way the MX1 lens zooms by shortening first and then lengthening, I doubt I'll be able to make the viewfinder zoom in sync with the lens through the full range. There's no way I'm going inside the MX1 to drive it straight off the lens motor either. The idea needs several coats of looking at.