Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2015, 08:01 AM   #1

Need your help for Waterproof cameras

Hi,

During my last cruising I started taking underwater pictures. I'm so thrilled with this that I'd like to buy a good camera but of course not too expensive. I've been reading the "10 top reviews" (waterproof-camera-reviews.com) but still I can not make up my mind.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Many thanks
Legonet

06-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one of the Olympus SW series, it's nice for what it is, a compact camera. Now they're called Stylus Tough

The newer generation of these rugged cameras is even better. Pentax has their WG series cameras, include a video camera. Don't expect to go more than 10m underwater though.

If you're looking for truly underwater cameras for activities like reef diving, you're going to want to look for an enclosure. If you're just snorkeling or splashing around, then yeah the rugged cameras are probably good.

The review site seems to be pretty honest, and put the cameras through their paces.
06-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

A GoPro is pretty decent. You can set it up to automatically snap photos at short intervals, and it can even do that at the same time it's capturing video. And it's flexible - you can do lots of things with a GoPro besides underwater. I know some sports photographers mount one to their hot shoe and have it set to continually take photos so if they miss a shot, they still have something (and when they're zoomed in, the go pro from the same moment can give some perspective). And action video, etc. I took mine on our honeymoon and wore it with chest strap when we went snorkeling. It gave me a ridiculous bra-strap tan line, but I got a few shots I was happy with, so it was worth it... and I got to just enjoy the view instead of mess with a camera.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/yougiveloveabaddotname/16929106448/in/photolist-rMY6xE-r8yp5q/
(sorry, I never posted any of the ones with fish on flickr, just a couple of my wife)

Pentax makes some underwater safe point & shoot cameras. Can't speak to their quality.

Nikon ONE (a compact MILC like the Pentax Q) has an underwater model with I think two lenses. I liked the photos I saw from it, and you can shoot in RAW, which makes post-processing much easier.

Nobody seems to make a pentax specific underwater housing, so no luck there (and housings seem to cost more than a good DSLR body, anyway, and you said you were looking for inexpensive).

If you're diving, not just snorkeling in shallow water, you'll want some serious underwater strobes.
06-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I still have my Optio W20 and its been around the world twice. I do have a newer WG-III and I like it a lot, each new model does everything a bit better than the previous.

06-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've had my Pentax WG-2 for a few years and originally bought it for a cruise. Since then, it's been used at waterparks, kayaking, bicycling, sledding, you name it. It's built to take a beating and still looks and works great. Also, the "microscope" setting allows for some nice macro work. A new WG-4 goes for around $200 right now.

I've added a pic taken while snorkeling in about 8 ft of water in clear Caribbean waters.

Last edited by zman; 01-21-2017 at 06:48 AM.
06-22-2015, 04:18 AM   #6

I was going to post a question pretty much like the one asked! I'm going to Cairns for seven days, half holiday half work. Thought it'd be great to have a camera to use under water, only for snorkeling. I too read the same waterproof camera review site, was tossing up between a Pentax or a Fuji.
06-22-2015, 09:06 AM   #7

There's also the recently released Olympus TG-4, whose most notable new feature is that it can shoot RAW.

I have a little Panasonic waterproof camera, and it's been ok but every time I used it I found myself wishing the images had more flexibility in editing. I was considering picking up the Nikon AW1 that narual mentioned, mainly just to get RAW files. I kept hesitating because it's a bit more than I'd like to pay for a camera that I realistically won't be using that often.
06-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

You could always get an underwater bag style case and use the q, too. Or even a full size k3 with flash.
ewa-marine:
ewa-marine:

06-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If you have the budget, the Nikon AW-1 has a 1" sensor and interchangeable lenses (Nikon 1 system)
06-30-2015, 05:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I paid $150 for a clean used Nikonos V with 35/2.5 lens.

Chris
06-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #11

Original Poster
Many thanks to all of you for your comments. I finally made up my mind and this afternoon. I ordered the Nikon COOLPIX AW 130. I hope I do not make a mistake

Zman what a great shot you took. Where in the Caribbean were you? Last April with my husband and son we sailed round trip from The Marin Marina to the Tobago Islands. It was fantastic but as to snorkeling I prefer the British Virgin Islands.

Again thank you very much
08-03-2015, 03:52 AM   #12

I bought a Fuji XP80 & took it with me on my trip to Cairns. Its a great little camera & once I got used to holding it, had a blast using it.
I recommend the Fuji to anyone looking at trying underwater photography.

This photo i attached is straight out of the camera, not time to play around with editing software, yet
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix XP80 XP81 XP85  Photo 
08-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #13

Original Poster
Great shot KREUZN!!! I finally bought the NIKKON coolpix AW 130.

Thank you to all of you who gave me your tips.
08-05-2015, 12:42 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Legonet Quote
Great shot KREUZN!!! I finally bought the NIKKON coolpix AW 130.

Thank you to all of you who gave me your tips.
Thanks Legonet

I hope your Nikkon brings you lots of underwater photo pleasure