Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bought camera from Amazon ... is it used?

Hi all,

I bought a camera (wg-4 gps) from Amazon marketplace from a seller located in NY/USA. I am surprised about the packaging: the clear wrap on the outside does not look like factory wrap, nor is the box sealed.
So I think I probably have a used/returned camera.

Does anyone know how Ricoh compacts are usually packaged in terms of the cellophane wrap and the box seals?

Also, any way to check something like shutter counts etc to see if it has been used?

Thanks,
Sam

06-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Shutter Count
Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
06-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sameagle Quote
Hi all,

I bought a camera (wg-4 gps) from Amazon marketplace from a seller located in NY/USA. I am surprised about the packaging: the clear wrap on the outside does not look like factory wrap, nor is the box sealed.
So I think I probably have a used/returned camera.

Does anyone know how Ricoh compacts are usually packaged in terms of the cellophane wrap and the box seals?

Also, any way to check something like shutter counts etc to see if it has been used?

Thanks,
Sam
Pentax boxes aren't sealed, nor are the camera wrappers themselves. I'd look for evidence of fingerprints or smudges.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I called Ricoh Support and they have confirmed what you said, Adam. Boxes do not usually have a cellophane wrap, boxes are not "sticker sealed". I loaded a photo per Rimfiredude's link and my shutter count is at 0. Also the camera and accessories seem to be pristine with not greasy paw-prints.

Next step: do a bunch of photos and testing to make sure my unit is decent.

Thanks,
Sam

06-23-2015, 01:34 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The seller probably got tired of people complaining that the product wasn't new because it wasn't shrink-wrapped and started shrink-wrapping everything.