Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2015, 10:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
Hi,

I myself am a Pentax/Ricoh loyalist, but have just replaced my WG-2 (gave it to my grandson) with an Olympus TG-4. I jumped ship on this one because the TG-4 has the ability to capture in RAW. The images are very good, handling is comfortable, and the camera is a bit shorter in length than the WG.

What I don't like about the Olympus :

- the RAW setting gives a RAW+JPEG only. RAW files are in .orf - used by Olympus and have to be changed to .dng to edit on my PSE9

- you can only charge the battery while in the camera. I plan on buying a cheap eBay charger.

- no paper camera manual included. You have to download a manual to your PC instead.

So far I'm happy with the TG-4 and the images it produces (even JPEG straight out of the camera). Costs a bit more than a new WG-5 w/GPS, but Olympus currently offers $50 instant rebate until 7-25-15. Lots of review comparisons online.
Thank you Zman, Did not know of raw options in waterproof cameras - will look into the olympus.

---------- Post added 07-17-15 at 01:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
How long have you had the WG-3? Did you soak it in a bowl of fresh water after each salt water use as recommended?
I ask this because I've been using mine in the ocean several times a month without any incident for a coupla years now. Previously I used the W10 for over six years also without incident, but eventually the seal on the door flap came off - but this is something I saw coming.
The WG-3 (and later variants) use the most robust door and hinge seal of any previous Pentax/Ricoh waterproof cam. One thing that really helps is to rub a bit of "nose grease" or ear grease (this is a very very fine grease that is free!) onto the rubber seal periodically. I find it helps to keep the rubber pliable, clean and soft for good sealing. Not maintaining o-rings and seals will ruin ANY cam eventually!
Thanks to your post I cracked open the user manual and found the recommendation for fresh water immersion for 2 minutes following salt water use. I have failed to do that! Thank you also for the creative tips on adding extra sealing!

---------- Post added 07-17-15 at 01:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
As others have mentioned, the ruggedized camera market is flooded (no pun intended) with plenty of options. However, I like the Pentax menu system, and you mentioned you already have batteries and a charger, so I would probably tend to stick with it for those practical reasons. Don't underestimate the value of having a familiar/consistent user interface. For example, I have a K5 and a K3, and the minor differences in button placement drives me nuts sometimes.

Sorry you had problems. I have had a WG-3 for about a year or two and haven't had any problems with water intrusion.
Tanzer, like your pun! I can see what you mean by the K5 K3 menus driving you crazy. The AF button placement difference has made me accidentally hit the green button many a time. I do see the value in sticking with the brand. Will keep you posted about my decision.
Many thanks everyone for great suggestions and insight!

07-17-2015, 10:53 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
One thing that really helps is to rub a bit of "nose grease" or ear grease (this is a very very fine grease that is free!) onto the rubber seal periodically. I find it helps to keep the rubber pliable, clean and soft for good sealing. Not maintaining o-rings and seals will ruin ANY cam eventually!
Note to self, don't ever buy a second hand waterproof cam from this guy... ewwwww

I'm still using an Optio W90. And I have no plans to replace it.
07-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Note to self, don't ever buy a second hand waterproof cam from this guy... ewwwww

I'm still using an Optio W90. And I have no plans to replace it.
ha ha! I'm not advocating buggers mind you, it's the fine oil on the outside of your nose / ears & please don't panic it is ORGANIC!
07-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Umm, just because something is organic, doesn't make it right.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
07-17-2015, 08:48 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Organic chocolate?