Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2015, 09:55 AM   #1

lens stuck - pentax rz10

I feel a bit ridiculous asking - but nothing will happen if I don't - right? My trusty old rz10 is jammed. At first I thought I'd just let it sit around too long and all the lithium ion batteries died. (or the charger died.. or my electrical outlet wasn't supplying power)... You know: I tried all the simple stuff first. Because I do NOT abuse my gear. It's been sitting in a box on the floor of my bedroom for months and months while I went through various attempts to power it up.
Now I'm thinking that the lens simply will not open. Maybe it's a tiny bit cockeyed? Or there's a tiny bit of dust or dog hair or cat hair or bunny fur or bird feathers .... I've tried canned air. I tried very gently scooting my way around the outer part of the lens next to the outer ring. Nothing. It powers up for a second and then down again. Any ideas? I don't have a bench - I'm just an old IBEW chick who likes techy stuff and hates to trash anything.

07-31-2015, 10:16 AM   #2

Original Poster
I found a similar problem on another thread where a poster suggested holding the view icon while pressing the power button, and YES - my camera will power up. However - I am still unable to get the lens to pop open. As soon as I'm out of view mode and go into shoot mode, the camera makes a soft quick noise and shuts down. The lens never moves. Help? Please? I love her. (it is a her.. she's purple and has been treated like a little princess)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio RZ10  Photo 
07-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jammed lenses are a common thing among compacts sadly... You could probably get a camera shop to repair it but the cost might not be worth it.
07-31-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Jammed lenses are a common thing among compacts sadly... You could probably get a camera shop to repair it but the cost might not be worth it.
Yup, unfortunately that's most likely the case.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-31-2015, 05:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Percussive maintenance...

Really, if you've tried everything and are about to throw it out then try one last thing and risk it all....

Hold the power button to turn it on then, while trying to zoom the lens, give a firm whack with the palm of your hand on the back of the camera.

Sometimes the bit of grit or the gear that is not quite meshing is bumped out/in and then all is good.
Sometimes nothing happens, but you were going to trash it anyway and still can...
Sometimes you break something else..

I have fixed 2 p&s and a bridge camera this way, broken none.
Maybe I am buoyed and biased by my success to date...Ymmv.
08-01-2015, 01:04 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all! I tried the whack-a-camera thing, to no avail. I'm not going to trash, because I'm too dumb.
It's in a local repair shop who will charge $68 if he can get it running. If not, there's no charge.

I thought it was a tiny bit high, but then again, I'm not bright enough to trash it like I should.
Thank you so VERY much for posting and for verifying what the shop told me: it's common & sometimes can be repaired. And he said that if he didn't attempt these jobs, he'd go out of business.
08-01-2015, 04:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boomchick Quote
Thanks all! I tried the whack-a-camera thing, to no avail. I'm not going to trash, because I'm too dumb.
It's in a local repair shop who will charge $68 if he can get it running. If not, there's no charge.

I thought it was a tiny bit high, but then again, I'm not bright enough to trash it like I should.
Thank you so VERY much for posting and for verifying what the shop told me: it's common & sometimes can be repaired. And he said that if he didn't attempt these jobs, he'd go out of business.
It's awfully nice of him to not charge anything if the repair isn't completed. Taking such a device apart is not the easiest and quickest thing in the world.

May I suggest finding a pink Q as a possible replacement?