Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thinking about replacing my MX-1 with a Fuji X30.

Let me preface this by saying I love my MX-1. It has become my go everywhere, always in my backpack, digital compact along with my go everywhere always in my backpack film compact, the Oly XA. They have been the perfect combo for me up until...

A colleague loaned me his X30 over lunch a couple of days ago and I'm impressed.

The viewfinder on the X30 is an EVF and I have been critical of them in the past, however, it's really better than nothing. I have become very attached the the tilting LCD on the MX-1 for waist level shooting ala TLR's and while the X20 did have an OVF the lack of a tilting LCD was a non-starter. The viewfinder and tilting LCD are a winning combination on the X30.

The X30's hardware interface is quite nice and I think I like it more than the MX-1's minimalist approach. I prefer the MX-1's software menu system, though. I really like the X30's manual focus and manual zoom and think both are far superior to the MX-1's. Macro mode, which I really like on the MX-1, is similar enough on the X30.

The sensor on the X30 is a bit bigger but it's TransX technology is rumored to be problematic for RAW shooters who use Lightroom. It's low light performance has also been criticized but I'm not sure how it compares to MX-1 and I do like to take low light shots.

If the MX-1 had a viewfinder I would probably shrug off much of the differences, even the manual focusing and zooming which are the the other two very appealing traits of the X30 for me.

"Sigh."

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 08-11-2015 at 10:21 PM.
08-11-2015, 11:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Let me preface this by saying I love my MX-1. It has become my go everywhere, always in my backpack, digital compact along with my go everywhere always in my backpack film compact, the Oly XA. They have been the perfect combo for me up until...

A colleague loaned me his X30 over lunch a couple of days ago and I'm impressed.

The viewfinder on the X30 is an EVF and I have been critical of them in the past, however, it's really better than nothing. I have become very attached the the tilting LCD on the MX-1 for waist level shooting ala TLR's and while the X20 did have an OVF the lack of a tilting LCD was a non-starter. The viewfinder and tilting LCD are a winning combination on the X30.

The X30's hardware interface is quite nice and I think I like it more than the MX-1's minimalist approach. I prefer the MX-1's software menu system, though. I really like the X30's manual focus and manual zoom and think both are far superior to the MX-1's. Macro mode, which I really like on the MX-1, is similar enough on the X30.

The sensor on the X30 is a bit bigger but it's TransX technology is rumored to be problematic for RAW shooters who use Lightroom. It's low light performance has also been criticized but I'm not sure how it compares to MX-1 and I do like to take low light shots.

If the MX-1 had a viewfinder I would probably shrug off much of the differences, even the manual focusing and zooming which are the the other two very appealing traits of the X30 for me.

"Sigh."
Take a look at the X-M1:-)
08-12-2015, 12:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pande Quote
Isn't that model a bit too close to dslr size.
Mx1 was on my list for a long time and i waited so long that i can't find one anymore. Looking at the x30 now as well...
a friend of mine bought one & i plan to try it out..
08-12-2015, 01:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Isn't that model a bit too close to dslr size.
Mx1 was on my list for a long time and i waited so long that i can't find one anymore. Looking at the x30 now as well...
a friend of mine bought one & i plan to try it out..
I was looking for a MX1, but i couldn`t find one. To bad that the XM1 isn`t replaced..... The only alternative is the GR, but i wanted the tilt screen. I was looking on the X30, but i also wanted larger sensor. (i got the XQ1, With the same sensor) Then i bought a X-M1 With 27 mm prime. Size is handy and it fit`s in a Pocket (not too smal then..) Top quality Pictures and i enjoy using it:-) It`s a supplement to my K-3/K30.

08-12-2015, 06:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Have you considered trying a u4/3 camera, like the Olympus M10? The camera + lens size is still very reasonable, especially with a pancake prime. Image quality will be be superb due to the high quality optics and significantly larger sensor. Software support with major applications like LR, Capture One, etc is ubiquitous. Even if you never change the lens you may still come out ahead especially if you are willing to consider used gear.

I remember looking at the X30 when I was shopping for a "medium" sized camera. As you said, Fuji's proprietary X-Trans system and small sensor make it a minimal upgrade over the MX-1 and the Q7. Usability may be significantly different but I didn't think the IQ was significantly better than my Q7.
08-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No viewfinder.

---------- Post added 08-12-15 at 12:32 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Have you considered trying a u4/3 camera, like the Olympus M10?
Just a bit bigger than I want for an MX1 replacement. The X30 iz barely larger than the MX1.

I have looked for a larger sensor compact that has tilt screen, viewfinder, and zoom to no avail.

QuoteQuote:
... Fuji's proprietary X-Trans system and small sensor make it a minimal upgrade over the MX-1 and the Q7. Usability may be significantly different but I didn't think the IQ was significantly better than my Q7.
Assuming the X30 low light performance is equal to the MX1 it would indeed be something of a lateral move IQ wise. Usability, however, is a different matter; I think the X30 is unquestionably superior in this regard

Do you think the Q7 has IQ as good as the MX1? I'm still in the early stages of Q7 usage and havent used it with the 06 enough as yet to tell.

This might be a good time to try lensrentals.com for a weekend outing.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 08-12-2015 at 02:34 PM.
08-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Never gave Fuji a passing thought! Until an old friend sold me on Fujifilm Finepix S1. What a camera for Quading, Boating hiking anywhere you have to go light but still want be able to go long or short with no extra weight. And one of the few W/R bridge cameras. 16 mp the whole 9 yards in one light package.
08-13-2015, 05:49 AM   #8

i think the x30's evf is one the better, maybe best, evf around. i really enjoyed the handling, autofocusing speed, and burst buffer. i did have issues with the af not locking in anywhere at all even in bright light on the same spot and target, but i think that's been fixed in a firmware. most people, even pros, just take the fuji jpegs and don't even worry about RAW processing. the jpeg engine and fuji colors are just that good.

i ended up returning my x30, as delightful as it is, and used the funds for a lens instead. at the end of the day, it's still a compact sensor. sure, you can argue that it's my skills and not the camera, but with a compact sensor you can't boost iso much and people's heads can look too compressed and processed sometimes. i think it's the loss of detail in their hair and the transition from hair to the background. that said, your subjects might be different. if the x40 or x50 is the similar size with a larger sensor, i'd be all over it. for now, i might consider the x100 series. a used x100 can go for $400. but the x100 is slightly sluggish.

08-13-2015, 11:32 AM   #9

The X30 will not deliver better quality than the MX-1. Use dpreview studio test scenes and see yourself. Both cameras are almost equal and perform similar.

But the X30 is indeed a very nice camera, especially the handling and EVF. So if that is important to you, go for it.
08-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
I owned the X30 when I had an opportunity to buy an MX-1 cheap. I have owned both cameras for close to a year now. The X30 sees more use because of its EVF. I cannot state specifically why, but I do, slightly, prefer the images from the MX1; but not enough to trump the fun and advantages of having a really great EVF.....And it is a great EVF. If your doing it for the EVF, it is a good move.
08-13-2015, 02:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RiderX Quote
The X30 will not deliver better quality than the MX-1. Use dpreview studio test scenes and see yourself.
Using JPG or RAW settings?
08-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Using JPG or RAW settings?
Both.

Personally I only shoot raw. This is the way how to use cameras like the X30 or MX-1.
08-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RiderX Quote
Both.

Personally I only shoot raw. This is the way how to use cameras like the X30 or MX-1.
What RAW processor were you using with the X-30?
08-13-2015, 11:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Oly xz-2 if you can find one, nobody wants to sell, but they can be had
08-14-2015, 12:07 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Then i bought a X-M1 With 27 mm prime. Size is handy and it fit`s in a Pocket (not too smal then..) Top quality Pictures and i enjoy using it:-) It`s a supplement to my K-3/K30.
I checked it out. I see the appeal.
But i was thinking: as a complement to my dslr with fixed lenses, i rather might want a small zoom on the compact. think that would make the X M1 too large.
Maybe it is just a mindset though..