Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2015, 03:48 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
some pretty serious macro ...

I was outside with my Olympus TG-4 p&s camera and started playing around with the "microscope" setting. I discovered that within that setting were additional sub-menus for macro. These images were obtained using "microscope/focus stacking" as the camera took several frames and processed the image in-camera. I was quite pleased with the results.

All images were hand-held and PP using PSE 9. The cranefly was alive, but the little hornet was captured and frozen. Unfortunately for him, I'm inexperienced at preserving insects and had him in the cold too long.

I do like the TG-4. My only complaint is that Olympus doesn't provide a paper operators manual - only an online version. I'm the kind of person that will grab and read the manual during a TV commercial.

Last edited by zman; 01-21-2017 at 06:48 AM.
09-21-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

pretty cool
09-22-2015, 12:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
I was outside with my Olympus TG-4 p&s camera and started playing around with the "microscope" setting.
Damn ! That is way cool ...

Those P&S cameras have come a long way ..
My brother has a P/S Ricoh that takes really good images ..

Wont be long before a P/S is good enough to make one consider giving up DSLR for something that will slip into ones pocket ..
09-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Zman, impressive images. Microscope mode with focus stacking is a potent tool. How long does the camera take to make the exposures? Does the camera only store the finished image or does it keep the nonstacked images? Sorry for all the questions.
thanks
barondla

09-28-2015, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. The camera manufacturers keep making it easier.

It seems the TG-4 takes about 5-6 individual exposures in less than 1 second. I did mine handheld with no problem.

Directly from the online manual re : Microscope/Focus Stacking - The camera shoots a number of images, automatically
shifting the focus in each image. These can then be
combined into a composite image with a large depth of field.
Two images are recorded, the first frame and the composite
image.

I couldn't find any other info other than that.
09-28-2015, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice images, though noisy even at Web resolutions. BTW, focus bracketing is in the Olympus OM-D E-M10 mark II and both focus bracketing and in-camera focus stacking are coming to the E-M1 soon via firmware update. Some really nice features for macro aficionados!
09-30-2015, 06:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for looking up the extra stacking info Zman. Very interesting. I have done some stacking with Pentax DSLRs and special prograns. it is slow and exacting in execution. It is hard to always move the focus the correct amount for each frame. Olympus has simplified the process greatly. point & shoot focus stacking. Wow.

Doundounba, appreciate the update on the Olympus firmware update. That could be fantastic. Might be time to add another Olympus to the stable.
thanks
barondla