Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2008, 06:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
To much camera for biking

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Tried out my new K20D on a recent trip to the Moab area (mountain bike mecca). To bad the K20 is to much camera to haul on a bike. I need a small point & shoot the Canon G9 looks like a rugged full featured answer. Does anyone have an opinion or other option?

06-21-2008, 06:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also bike. Wouldn't dream of taking K10/20D. Took DS once or twice in backpack on mountain bike. Wouldn't want to go far with that.
Check out one of the Optio weather proof models. Never know when it will rain or the darn Camelbak will leak. Really want to see the new W60. Have a Pana LX2 but hesitate to take it on the bikes much. Have used Optio W30. Nice camera. New one is supposed to have manual exposure. Yeay.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST 7 Winners in P&S forum. Enter #8.
Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
06-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

totally agree with barondla....

The gest biking photo gear is exactly that, an Optio W (series) P&s, plus a mini gorillapod. With any other non waterproof p&s, you'll still have to care when muddy, rainy, dusty, wet, etc... conditions, that make all the fun in mountain biking, and are not compatible with 99.9% of any camera gear.

Look at my setup. It's no nonsense, no worries, always ready.

Attachment 14289

You will be so pleased with this handy and worry free setup, plus it takes almost no space. In my case, I just wrap the gorillapod to bike's frame, and take camera in shirt pocket.

RB

Last edited by rburgoss; 07-31-2008 at 10:26 AM.
06-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Gorillapod... sweet!

06-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

rburgoss, how do you carry the Optio on the bike? Would like to have it near the handlebars in a bag. Haven't found a good bag yet. Took the Pana to Tunnel Hill (on mountain bike) and its a pain to stop, take the Camelbak off, dig into its pocket for the camera and then reverse all the above to ride. Need a P&S eveready case of some kind. Friend had same problem with his P&S. Gorilla pod looks interesting. Have to check out the one at the store.
thanks
barondla (legs are sore today)

PS my K2 water bladder actually sprung a leak this morning before leaving the house. Had to take the Camelbak. Never trust a non waterproof camera with a bladder.
06-23-2008, 06:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Camera (WPI) travels with me. Inside shirt or shorts pocket, inside a regular p&s camera case. Gorillapod travels wrapped to seatpost.

The gorillapod (mini version for p&s) is the best investment ever made for picture taking while bike riding. Just wrap legs around anything (bike frame, branch, rock, etc) or spread legs and use it as regular tripod. You can even frame portrait wise!

RB
06-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Shoot, I must be doing something wrong here.
Just yesterday I took 2 DSLR's, along with a total of 5 lenses, a light weight tripod, and a flash along with me on a mountain bike ride.
And that's with a bad back

2 of those lenses aren't a lightweight either, being a Sigma 135 - 400, and a Sigma 24 - 70 f2.8

I guess the difference is I wanted the best quality images possible. Which I got I fully intend upon selling my work, or at least using it in my portfolio.

06-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Little Laker, the difference is that you're biking to take photos. The thread is about taking photos *while* biking.
06-23-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ok, got it Mike

I'd still take a DSLR over almost any compact camera.
With one exception, that being a Sigma DP1. Then I'd at least have SLR quality photographs, although the 28mm lens (full frame equivalent) isn't the best thing for wildlife
06-23-2008, 05:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Not that I get my bike out and ride very much, but when I was looking for camera bag dividers on Fleabay, I found this--a bag that mounts on your bike handles, but can also be removed and converted into a shoulder bag and also has optional camera dividers with it.

Ortlieb Handlebar Bag Touring Ultimate 5 Camera Divider - eBay (item 190231263447 end time Jun-29-08 18:00:00 PDT)

This might be a good solution for those of you who are hesitant to take your DSLR with you because of the size, if you limit your kit to the camera, plus 1 or 2 lenses max.

Stu, I wish that DP1 had a zoom lens on it. If it did, then I might consider getting something like that. DSLR sensor in a P&S sized body is a great idea and I hope Sigma will continue to pursue this.

Heather
06-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Ok, got it Mike

I'd still take a DSLR over almost any compact camera.
With one exception, that being a Sigma DP1. Then I'd at least have SLR quality photographs, although the 28mm lens (full frame equivalent) isn't the best thing for wildlife
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeH Quote
Little Laker, the difference is that you're biking to take photos. The thread is about taking photos *while* biking.
I also prefer a dslr to a compact but isn't it really about the shot? When I'm cycling I don't want to be encumbered with stuff and I'm usually with others who don't necessarily have the patience while I set up and wait for the shot. I'll have to check out the Sigma DP1.
Mike is right I ride for enjoyment or exercise or to clear my head, if I see a shot it would be nice to have a P&S to capture what I'm seeing at that moment.
06-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DSLR does a better job most of the time. A good P&S can give a DSLR a run on a bright day. Remember the shots of the Optio A30 vs K10D that were posted here. It was very hard to tell them apart.
When riding the bike I need a fast quick camera. If I were riding to take pics it might be different. I still get a little nervous carrying the big expensive cameras on bikes. Have to watch rain, and falling over. On mountain bike its a long way to fall (in backpack). On recumbent not so far. Don't like a lot of weight, in backpack, on bike. It affects the handling. The recumbent has a rack thats better, but its the fast bike so I'm less likely to stop for a pic or even see a pic. Will check out the bag hwblanks showed. Looks kind of big for a P&S though.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST 7 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #8. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
06-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What about the new Sigma DP1? it has the foveon sensor.

I have a Canon S3, if that is too large for where Im going I also have a Kodak Z1285, has manual mode and does HD video.
06-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
What about the new Sigma DP1? it has the foveon sensor.

I have a Canon S3, if that is too large for where Im going I also have a Kodak Z1285, has manual mode and does HD video.
Little Laker also recommended the DP1. I looked at the Sigma site and it seems like a very high quality P&S. It appears to be a little larger than most, it has attachments, view finder and lens hood and it is rather pricey. I'd rather not to be bothered with attachments. One compact quality shooting box with a range finder is what I am after.
06-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone looking for a film camera should consider the Olympus Stylus Epic (mju-II).
It is small, self-contained ("capsule" design), weatherproof and under $100.
The 35/2.8 lens is very good, too...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-26-2008 at 03:07 PM.