Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2015, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll play. These first two shots are variations on a theme. I modified (reversibly) two cameras for slit screen imagery, a Brownie Hawkeye Flash and a Yashica 35 GSN. These were tow test images taken from the cameras, respectively as named.

This last image is shared just for fun and not as an entry. The lens (a Navitar 250mm f/4.5) exceeds the contest weight limit. But it's a fun image and neat wheels-related effect. If you remember old cartoons, when a car would go really fast the wheels would turn into forward-slanted ovals. That style of drawing stemmed from actual images of race cars taken with cameras that had slow-moving rollerblind shutter, cameras like the Graflex Super D. The Super D takes photos with exposures as fast as 1/1,000th, which was pretty impressive back in the 1930s, but it does it by moving a long sheet of fabric with variously wide slits in it in front of the film. The fabric always moves at about the same speed, but the slit size makes the image exposure shorter. Because the blinds moved so slowly and a fast-moving car could progress in space during the span of an exposure, the car appeared to lean forward. Here's a reproduction of that effect with my Graflex Super D

11-15-2015, 03:13 AM   #17
Forum Member

The ferris wheel on the vieux port is back.
I never really understood why they always bring it out during winter.

Pentax Q7
11-15-2015, 06:07 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
I'll play. These first two shots are variations on a theme. I modified (reversibly) two cameras for slit screen imagery, a Brownie Hawkeye Flash and a Yashica 35 GSN. These were tow test images taken from the cameras, respectively as named.

This last image is shared just for fun and not as an entry. The lens (a Navitar 250mm f/4.5) exceeds the contest weight limit. But it's a fun image and neat wheels-related effect. If you remember old cartoons, when a car would go really fast the wheels would turn into forward-slanted ovals. That style of drawing stemmed from actual images of race cars taken with cameras that had slow-moving rollerblind shutter, cameras like the Graflex Super D. The Super D takes photos with exposures as fast as 1/1,000th, which was pretty impressive back in the 1930s, but it does it by moving a long sheet of fabric with variously wide slits in it in front of the film. The fabric always moves at about the same speed, but the slit size makes the image exposure shorter. Because the blinds moved so slowly and a fast-moving car could progress in space during the span of an exposure, the car appeared to lean forward. Here's a reproduction of that effect with my Graflex Super D
Remarkable images and interesting information!
The wheels leaning forward are great

QuoteOriginally posted by gt6plus Quote
The ferris wheel on the vieux port is back.
I never really understood why they always bring it out during winter.

Pentax Q7
Cool! That's the biggest wheel so fare
Lovely mood.
11-16-2015, 09:01 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Definitely.
At the very least, there were at some point

Looks like the fire took its toll.
Yeah 4 wildfires hit our families town. When the fires combined into one large fire, they took our house.

11-16-2015, 12:44 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So sorry to hear that, John!
That's really horrible.
11-16-2015, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Wheels, taken with a Sony DSC H20

---------- Post added 11-16-15 at 07:27 PM ----------

"I'll play. These first two shots are variations on a theme. I modified (reversibly) two cameras for slit screen imagery, a Brownie Hawkeye Flash and a Yashica 35 GSN. These were tow test images taken from the cameras, respectively as named."

The Yashica 35 GSN was my 1st 35mm camera. It was a great camera for it's day. I still have a fond memory of that camera and the photos I took with it.
Attached Images

11-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Thank you Bart, I appreciate that. We will rebuild.
11-17-2015, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #23

This is probably the first entry made with a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye Flash 120 box camera using expired (May 2006) Portra NC and flipped lens:

11-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Wheels, taken with a Sony DSC H20

---------- Post added 11-16-15 at 07:27 PM ----------

"I'll play. These first two shots are variations on a theme. I modified (reversibly) two cameras for slit screen imagery, a Brownie Hawkeye Flash and a Yashica 35 GSN. These were tow test images taken from the cameras, respectively as named."

The Yashica 35 GSN was my 1st 35mm camera. It was a great camera for it's day. I still have a fond memory of that camera and the photos I took with it.
An interesting piece of agricultural history!
I like how the plants have almost covered it up.

QuoteOriginally posted by chubasco Quote
This is probably the first entry made with a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye Flash 120 box camera using expired (May 2006) Portra NC and flipped lens:
Wow!
Wonderful effect and lovely rich colours, Bill!
11-17-2015, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote

Wow!
Wonderful effect and lovely rich colours, Bill!
Thanks, Bart, well, it's film.
11-17-2015, 02:41 PM   #26
Pentaxian

That is really creative, well done
11-17-2015, 03:09 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
That is really creative, well done
Thanks! BTW, my hometown is Sandpoint, Idaho, and I worry about fires happening around them, too. Best wishes.
11-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice Brownie photo!
11-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #29
Forum Member

I did that Brownie reverse lens thing too. It was an accident since I didn't realize after I had taken the camera apart and put back together that I had reversed the lens. I later learned that it was a trick that had been done on purpose before.
Attached Images

11-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
like an image from a dream