Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #1

New Ricoh GR help with my settings!

[SIZE="3"]Hi,
I have just bought the Ricoh GR and would like a little help with my settings.
I predominately want to shoot street, people and urban scenes and mainly process to black and white from a RAW file.
I went out at the weekend and tried it out for the first time with pretty poor results, which I am certain is down to my settings.
I have the following settings –
Multi metering, RAW + BW Hi Contrast, FN1 set to change snap and AF (AF set to spot AF), FN2 set to change snap focal distance, WB Multi P Auto,

MY1 Day time street -

Aperture Priority set to F8, Snap set to 1m, Auto hi ISO 800

MY2 Night and low light -

Aperture Priority set to F2.8, Snap set to 1m, Auto hi ISO 1600 (is this too low?)

MY3

Trying out TAV for street -

TAV, F8, 1/250, auto ISO and snap set to 1m

I tested My1 and My2 and I wasn’t getting fast enough speeds to get sharp shots.
In TAV it worked out getter but the ISO was up pretty high (6400).
Is there any other setting that I need to change to get decent shutter speeds without astronomical ISO’s?
Cheers,
Al

11-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

For street photography, I have My1 set to TAv, f8, 1/400 second. Snap Focus fixed at 1.5m. This works well for full sun.

In heavy shade from the canyons of New York City buildings, I'll change to f5.6 and 1/250 shutter. Depth of focus still puts everything between 1 and 4 meters in reasonable focus.

There's no perfect setting for night street photography. f2.8 yields a very narrow depth of field for snap focus. AF in low light is too slow for a good hit rate on moving subjects. Fast shutter drives up ISO while a slow shutter blurs walking subjects. It's not a GR problem, just the limits of physics.

There are workarounds for night. Use Av f2.8 and AF for non-moving subjects. For moving subjects, accept some motion blur, or accept high ISO noise, or try continuous shutter with snap focus (start shooting before a subject enters the narrow depth of field and keep shooting but you'll have a lot of photos to review hoping for one that's in good focus).

Enjoy your GR.
11-06-2015, 12:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
For street photography, I have My1 set to TAv, f8, 1/400 second. Snap Focus fixed at 1.5m. This works well for full sun.

In heavy shade from the canyons of New York City buildings, I'll change to f5.6 and 1/250 shutter. Depth of focus still puts everything between 1 and 4 meters in reasonable focus.

There's no perfect setting for night street photography. f2.8 yields a very narrow depth of field for snap focus. AF in low light is too slow for a good hit rate on moving subjects. Fast shutter drives up ISO while a slow shutter blurs walking subjects. It's not a GR problem, just the limits of physics.

There are workarounds for night. Use Av f2.8 and AF for non-moving subjects. For moving subjects, accept some motion blur, or accept high ISO noise, or try continuous shutter with snap focus (start shooting before a subject enters the narrow depth of field and keep shooting but you'll have a lot of photos to review hoping for one that's in good focus).

Enjoy your GR.
Brilliant, thanks John I will give them a go this weekend!