Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MX-1 finally crapped out on me

Well, it was a decent camera while it lasted. But, about 1 1/2 years ago, the lens stopped retracting. Not to fear (too much) though as I had the aftermarket filter extension on the barrel, so my lens was not exposed. It may not have closed, but between the extension on the barrel and the UV filter, I was able to deal with a permanently extended lens. However, recently, it started complaining that the lens cap was on and turns itself off. Wondering if anyone else experienced this and if they found a fix for it.

Too bad, but maybe not too bad after all. The IQ was very good at low ISOs, and it was a nice looking, sturdy camera, but the AF was irritatingly slow and the shot-to-shot time in RAW was painful.

12-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Given the price the MX-1 was originally sold for, I would have expected it to last longer...especially considering its tough retro appearance. How heavily did you use the camera?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did use it fairly heavily and regularly had it with more...perhaps more than any other camera. A year ago and then some the retracting mechanism stopped working properly, and now the additional problem happened making it unusable....unless I can figure something out. I would have expected better durability, but maybe I just got a lemon.
12-15-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if there's a sort of "hard reset" you could do? I have a Sony Cybershot (not the same thing, I know) and it stopped retracting the lens after less than a year. A Sony representative on their site's online chat instructed me on some secret combination of buttons to press/hold/take the battery out/etc that did some readjustment to godknowswhat and it's been working fine ever since...

Edit: Although I don't use it heavily, I have had the MX-1 for 2 years in January and it is still going strong! No issues at all. (Knock on wood.)

12-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Sounds like something got inside the lens retracting mechanism, sand or grit perhaps which finally work it's way right inside.
The MX-1 needs to function long enough for natural brassing to occur. Brassing was a much marketed feature.
12-15-2015, 04:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Too bad, but maybe not too bad after all. The IQ was very good at low ISOs, and it was a nice looking, sturdy camera, but the AF was irritatingly slow and the shot-to-shot time in RAW was painful.
I also had the MX-1 and concur with your remarks here. I liked the MX-1 but not enough to the keep it when the Ricoh GR came along. I would suggest taking a look at the GR or the Panasonic LX100 (which I also own) as potential replacements if you could swing such a purchase now.
12-15-2015, 08:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ever since the lens stopped retracting I can hear the gears at work whenever I Turn it on or off. I can also see a tiny bit of movement. But, when I put a little pressure on it when I turn it off to try to coax it along, it quickly meets with solid resistance.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Sounds like something got inside the lens retracting mechanism, sand or grit perhaps which finally work it's way right inside.
The MX-1 needs to function long enough for natural brassing to occur. Brassing was a much marketed feature.
12-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Started working again....I guess it has a mind of its own. Lens still extended all the time, but at least it turns on now.....

12-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter

But us it really pocketable with the non-retracted lens?
12-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No, but I've had the aftermarket barrel on it for a while to use filters, even before this problem, so it's always been larger than it would be, even extended. But, even without that, when retracted it's not really pocketable, unless you're talking about a pretty big picket.