Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #1

Qi Charging the WG-3 in Interval Mode

I'm experimenting with Interval Mode with my WG-3 (First results here. Six hours in one minute.). To do a longer interval shoot (such as days or weeks), a constant power source would be preferable to changing the battery. Since the camera will not turn on with the battery compartment open (and thus cannot be connected to a constant power source), I'm wondering:

Will the WG-3 take a charge from a Qi charger while the camera is in standby mode between interval shots? I do not own a Qi charger and am hoping to avoid the cost if someone knows it won't work.

My only other option would be to change the battery once in a while, but I'd like to avoid that if possible so the camera's viewpoint doesn't change in some tiny way.

Thanks!

01-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #2

Original Poster
I was able to borrow a Qi charger to answer my question. Unfortunately, Qi charging is NOT compatible with the WG-3's interval mode. Once the camera starts charging wirelessly between shots, it appears to take itself out of stand-by, thus causing interval mode settings to be lost. Taking the camera off the charger does not turn interval mode back on.

So it looks like there's no way to give the WG-3 a constant power supply in any active mode. This bums me out, because the stock battery doesn't last more than eight or nine hours in interval mode with the settings I'd like to use. I guess I'll have to look into using a different camera for this project. It'd be great if my K10D had an interval mode, because I wouldn't mind leaving that old thing in a window for extended periods of time.