Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 04:38 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Good Running Camera

I'm looking for suggestions on a good camera I coukd strap to my arm while Im out running. I usually stumble on great scenes while Im out and about and thought I really should combine my two loves. Keep in mind the camera is going to get wet, be exposed to hot and cold temps and may get dropped a time or two. Any thoughts?

03-19-2016, 05:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What about those Pentax/Ricoh WG cameras? Compact, fixed lens, waterproof, shockproof, has a flash. Sure, its image quality isn't on the same level as a DSLR, but a DSLR will be too big for running. Here is a link to the WG series cameras, I don't know which one is the latest model, though: https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-compact-digital-cameras-c8.html

Maybe Pentax Q, but those are not weather resistant.
03-19-2016, 05:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjEM2wQD
Ozzrod put this album together with his WG-3

I subsequently bought a WG-4 for vacation destinations
https://www.flickr.com/gp/taggartjm/169d84

Its a handy camera to have, takes a decent picture as you can see - but is no DSLR.

I think it would be a good choice - light, grippy, colourful, comes with a strap and clip to attach to your gear - and if you drop it or get caught in a shower no worries.
03-19-2016, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #4

Don't try the etch a sketch....no sim card for back up and the running erases everything?...lol

03-19-2016, 06:36 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

I runs everyday and I sometimes take with me my dSLR with a prime. The key is good fit bag, with excellent padding and in which the camera will not move.

I am currently using the Lowepro Apex 100AW (Lowepro Apex 100 AW reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database). I also used an Optech neoprene pouch (OP/Tech Neoprene soft pouch D-SLR Mid-size reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database). I add that I have no vested interest with these companies. I tried other bags but these two are my favs because of excellent padding and tight fit.

This is off course not what the the OP asks, but there are beautiful places where a good quality dSLR system is really nice.
03-19-2016, 06:44 AM   #6
Forum Member

its not pentax but the better gopro's take really nice pictures. a mirrorless might be a good tradeoff too. kinda depends what tye of scene u aim to shoot and how nice a shot you want.
03-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the suggestions

03-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
RX100 series Sony - small, light, versatile 1"sensor
06-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
RX100 series Sony - small, light, versatile 1"sensor
I own the RX100, the MK 1, and I also own a Ricoh WG-2 and an original Q. The RX100 really is a giant-killer, in terms of image quality and control. I adore mine, and the raw shooting, the 7-blade aperture, the sharp, 1.8 lens...but I wouldn't take it running. Especially if I am planning on letting it get wet, or get dropped.

My original Q is bulkier than the WG, and not weather sealed, and I think actually both the WG and RX100 take better photos. My Q may have some sort of issue, but the images I get out of it are awful soft.

The WG-2 would be the better camera, choosing from what I already own. No RAW, no depth of field control, but decent photos? You know it. The WG-2 is also better for Macro craziness.

I wouldn't get a GoPro for stills. They are very much made for video, and they are not as rugged outside their case as the WG-2 is natively. They also don't have a color LCD screen for composing, and they all have fixed-focal-length Fisheye lenses. Blech

My suggestion is WG-series all the way. I have personal experience with the WG-2. If the successor cameras are at least as good, I would definitely go for it. The Pentax/RIcoh WG cameras are probably the best on the market. Olympus has some good stuff going on with their Stylus Tough series, but I'd have to shoot them side by side.