Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh Theta S?

I'm thinking about getting the Theta S and setting it in the middle of the classroom so online students can stream the feed live to participate in class discussion and activities. It seems like this would be possible, but I have a couple questions. The Theta S specs show a max clip length of 25 minutes, and the Theta m15 has an overheat time time of 40 minutes. Is this improved with the S? And would these numbers even apply if I'm just streaming, or is there a max streaming time too? If class is one hour, would the camera shutdown at 40 minutes because of heat?

Also, Live View is 10fps, but I'm assuming the live streaming is broadcast at 30fps, correct?

03-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Theta S streams at 15FPS. I like your idea, but given the limited resolution (half of 720p per lens including the dark areas) I think you'd be better off with a full-HD camcorder fitted with a wide lens. I'm not sure if there's currently software available that would let you pan and zoom the Theta's live video feed.

If the camera is placed on a tripod, I doubt it will overheat. Different story if you hold it, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for your reply Adam. Maybe in the next version of the Theta...
04-06-2016, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Thanks for your reply Adam. Maybe in the next version of the Theta...
This professional spherical video camera was just announced announced.

Might be perfect if you can get the school to buy it for you

Orah 4i Live Spherical VR Camera 4I B&H Photo Video

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: