Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Ricoh Theta S Sharing Options? Is this technology still to premature?

I just got the Ricoh Theta S and it is pretty awesome. I love the pictures and videos that it takes, the only problem is that trying to share these pictures and videos is making me want to rip my hairs out... I think I finally figured out how to upload 360 videos to Youtube (there seems to be so many unnecessary steps) and uploading directly to Facebook really seems to degrade the quality a lot. I also noticed that the 360 feature doesn't seem to work all that well on mobile (I'm using an iPhone 6s).

The video sharing options feel like a huge let down, but what appears to be the biggest disappointment is the photo sharing options. I can't seem to find a way to upload 360 photos to Facebook. Everything I've tried turns the images into panoramas. I know I can link from the Theta website, but that honestly feels really unnecessary. Maybe I'm just whining, but I really am disappointed with my lack of options for sharing what I've recorded. I'm hoping I'm missing a lot because if I'm not, I'll probably be returning the Theta S. I love what it does, but I'm not really enjoying my lack of options after it's done what it's supposed to do.

04-21-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 360 video feature on YouTube is definitely new, but it's already easier than it was before (you had to run a Python script).

As for sharing on Facebook, are you uploading to Theta360.com first? It's a lot easier to do via the desktop app. I think the smartphone app UI still needs some brushing up- but there's nothing wrong with the photos themselves, once you get them uploaded.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-21-2016, 09:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The 360 video feature on YouTube is definitely new, but it's already easier than it was before (you had to run a Python script).

As for sharing on Facebook, are you uploading to Theta360.com first? It's a lot easier to do via the desktop app. I think the smartphone app UI still needs some brushing up- but there's nothing wrong with the photos themselves, once you get them uploaded.
Hi Adam, so the 360 photo sharing should work? Is there a tutorial on this? Every time I tried, Facebook turned it into a panorama.
04-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Hi Adam, so the 360 photo sharing should work? Is there a tutorial on this? Every time I tried, Facebook turned it into a panorama.
You can't share the photos directly on FB, but rather just a link to the photo on theta360.com. FB users coming across your post will see a thumbnail with part of the photo, which when clicked should show the full image.

I haven't tested it since last year, but I recall the process being fairly straightforward.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-21-2016, 10:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You can't share the photos directly on FB, but rather just a link to the photo on theta360.com. FB users coming across your post will see a thumbnail with part of the photo, which when clicked should show the full image.

I haven't tested it since last year, but I recall the process being fairly straightforward.
That's pretty much what I've done. I was hoping there was a way to embed the photos. Kind of like how you can do on this message board.
04-21-2016, 11:21 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's pretty much what I've done. I was hoping there was a way to embed the photos. Kind of like how you can do on this message board.
Nah, facebook doesn't give you that kind of flexibility, unfortunately. An alternative (but one that would require a substantial effort on your part) would be to create a looping gif or youtube video that pans through the entire spherical image.

Adam

04-22-2016, 04:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nah, facebook doesn't give you that kind of flexibility, unfortunately. An alternative (but one that would require a substantial effort on your part) would be to create a looping gif or youtube video that pans through the entire spherical image.
The looping gif or youtube video of an image actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. Is there software out there that would let me do this? Or would this be an incredibly tedious process?

04-22-2016, 06:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Personally I think the 360 technology is a bit early still. Since the most natural viewing is a crop of the captured image or video, via a VR set or a screen, increasing the captured resolution is important. Full HD is just not enough to crop from in my opinion. For an immerse smooth feeling in a VR set the framerate should be at least 60 fps. So in my opinion 4K 60p is the minimum I want to buy one. I also would like to be less dependent on good weather. A WR or better, a IP68 camera that can withstand hours immersed at a few meters depth is what I'm really looking for. I think both wishes are quite realistic. The cable ports can be replaced by electric toothbrush like battery charging, and various wireless transfer methods to both TVs, phones, computers and online services. The theta casing have a design that is quite easy to seal thoroughly.
04-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Personally I think the 360 technology is a bit early still. Since the most natural viewing is a crop of the captured image or video, via a VR set or a screen, increasing the captured resolution is important. Full HD is just not enough to crop from in my opinion. For an immerse smooth feeling in a VR set the framerate should be at least 60 fps. So in my opinion 4K 60p is the minimum I want to buy one. I also would like to be less dependent on good weather. A WR or better, a IP68 camera that can withstand hours immersed at a few meters depth is what I'm really looking for. I think both wishes are quite realistic. The cable ports can be replaced by electric toothbrush like battery charging, and various wireless transfer methods to both TVs, phones, computers and online services. The theta casing have a design that is quite easy to seal thoroughly.
The Theta S captures 14 Mp still files, so there's plenty to work with. See:
Ricoh Theta S Review - Image Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews

"Pro" 360 video cameras like the Orah 4i or Nikon KeyMission 360 already record 4K video, but they're certainly for a different crowd than the Theta.

The looping gif or youtube video of an image actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. Is there software out there that would let me do this? Or would this be an incredibly tedious process?
It wouldn't be that hard. Install a screen capture program (I use Mirilis Action, there are some free alternatives too), open the desired photo using the theta desktop app, click on fullscreen view, (start recording) and hold down one of the arrow keys to continuously pan.

Then you could either upload it as a video directly, or slow it down using a video editor like movie maker. You could even make it 4K if you have a 4K monitor! My laptop is 4K, so I might try this out myself.

Adam

04-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For stills, the 14 Mp should be enough, but its the video resolution I'm expecting more from. On screen or in VR-glasses, I will guesstimate we only see about 10-20% of the captured area. Thats 1/5 - 1/10 the resolution of a full HD display.
05-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #11

Facebook 360 photo support.

Now it will be easier to share 360 photos from the theta s.
09-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just got myself Theta S and I too am annoyed by how difficult it (apparently still) is to share on Facebook. Uploading from my computer works like a charm, but I can't upload from the phone, even from outside the app, without the image turning into a normal panorama.

Apparently my phone is outdated because Theta+ and Theta+ Video aren't compatible with it but I don't see why this should affect the images.