Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2016, 06:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
To buy or not to buy?

Dear all,

I am with Pentax for 5+ years now, use K-7 with 15/4, 35/2.4, 70/2.4 and 50-135/2.8.
While all these lenses pretty much cover my shooting, I got my eyes on Ricoh GR (from reading/watching reviews and pictures). I suspect it would be my everyday camera (as K-7 sees less and less of use). My local store has Ricoh GR at 499 EUR. Would you consider this to be a good deal?

Or should I just upgrade the current body to, say, K-3?

04-30-2016, 07:14 AM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

With what you have I'd go K3, then prepare to be blown away.
04-30-2016, 07:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomLT Quote
Dear all,

I am with Pentax for 5+ years now, use K-7 with 15/4, 35/2.4, 70/2.4 and 50-135/2.8.
While all these lenses pretty much cover my shooting, I got my eyes on Ricoh GR (from reading/watching reviews and pictures). I suspect it would be my everyday camera (as K-7 sees less and less of use). My local store has Ricoh GR at 499 EUR. Would you consider this to be a good deal?

Or should I just upgrade the current body to, say, K-3?

I can only speak for myself but I can confidently say that having used a DSLR and gotten used to the versatility of it, I would be hard pressed to be content with the GR. It's, by all accounts, a high quality and very competent instrument but it doesn't compare to a DSLR nor is it intended to; it occupies a different niche. If would be a wonderful adjunct to the DSLR photographers kit but not an adequate replacement. If it were me I would upgrade to the K-3. Your mileage may vary.
04-30-2016, 07:31 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need to ask yourself WHY your K-7 is seeing less and less use, and what the GR is offering that the K-7 is not.

I know that once I had stepped into SLR world, fixed lens point-and-shoot would never be good enough any more. Ultimately what this meant that I was prepared to go back to film (Pentax ME with 40mm M Pancake) in order to achieve P&S compactness with SLR functionality. Given the choice between a GR and a K-3, I would opt for the K-3 every time (my current DSLR is the K-5).

But maybe the opposite is true for you, and you would prefer to see the world through a GR's eyes, saving the K-7 for those times when the GR just wouldn't do.

So yeah, have a think about what you want from your day to day camera, then open a couple of browser windows with all the features the GR and the K-3 offer and see which ticks the boxes on paper. Then go into the shop and handle both. Then go away, look at your list again, and decide for sure which fits your needs the most.

04-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

My K10D got less and less use over the years. Then I bought a K3. My poor trusty old K10D got shelved and the K3 has renewed my passion for photography. The K3 will allow you to do things never thought possible with the K7. Actually my K50 blows my K10D away.
04-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Years ago, when high quality point & shoot film cameras were popular I stashed away my 35mm film gear and went with a Leica p&s ;because I got tired of lugging around all of the gear...lenses, flash, etc. I graduated to a decent quality Canon p&s digital once the price on digitals came down and the quality started going up, but two years ago I got my hands on a DSLR I remembered just how much I love the flexibility of interchangeable lenses and higher IQ.

You already have the lenses to cover your shooting preferences so I would spend a little more and get a K-3.
04-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I do not regret buying my GR, and if you had a somewhat newer DSLR I would clearly recommend getting the GR. Switching from the K7 to a more current body should be a huge step up, I would clearly prefer getting a K3 or another current model.

On the other hand, I did get the GR to always have a camera handy and I really enjoy the simple way of working with the P&S, and while my most important camera still is the K5 and I would rather go without the GR if I had to choose, only you can decide what you need

Ideally I would recommend getting both...
04-30-2016, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your comments! It is quite clear the direction that I should be heading I guess. Will look for K-3 or similar, and will later look at GR. I sort of feel that K-3+70/2.4 and GR would be an amazing and very un-intimidating combo when shooting streets and people in them.

04-30-2016, 03:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You might also consider the K-S2. It's a little smaller and that fold out lcd screen is very useful. When I got into dSLR my first was a Canon Rebel 350 and then finally a Canon 5D with full frame sensor. But while I enjoyed the quality the 5D, it was larger & heavier for backpacking. Also, the lens were larger & heavier and Canon thinks very highly of their "L" lens which I was collecting. So I finally sold all my Canon stuff and switched to a Pentax K-5 II, which was great. But because of physical limitations developing in my old body I was having difficulty with low level shots, which was the main reason I switched to the K-S2 and that fold out lcd screen.
Anyway, maybe all this will give you something more to think about.