Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just got a PC35AF

I got a PC35AF today. Maybe I wasn't looking before, but this is the first time I ever saw one. It's like the Olympus XA (?), and the Canon MC, a small P&S with a sliding lens cover and a manual ASA selector. I've seen quite a few of the various models of the Olympus camera, and only once did I see the Canon (I bought it). I read a review on-line that said the lens is great, but the rest is a little rough. I wish it were easier to get film processed. Oh, I've got to clean corrosion off one of the springs. I think I read that the PC35af is the first P&S with auto-focus.

06-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
I got a PC35AF today. Maybe I wasn't looking before, but this is the first time I ever saw one. It's like the Olympus XA (?), and the Canon MC, a small P&S with a sliding lens cover and a manual ASA selector. I've seen quite a few of the various models of the Olympus camera, and only once did I see the Canon (I bought it). I read a review on-line that said the lens is great, but the rest is a little rough. I wish it were easier to get film processed. Oh, I've got to clean corrosion off one of the springs. I think I read that the PC35af is the first P&S with auto-focus.
With all due respect, as a 3-time XA owner, the PC35AF is not like an XA. The thing that makes the XA truly unique is that it's an aperture-priority, auto-exposure manual focus rangefinder. It's like having a Yashica Electro 35 in your pocket. No offense to the PC35AF, but it doesn't offer the same level of manual control or the same shooting experience. It probably does take quite nice photos though!
02-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote

I've got one too, including the PC35 winder. (Also picked up an Olympus MJU ZOOM 140)
The sliding lens covers on these cameras are a good idea. Both cameras have a film inside them now so I will be trying them out when the weather improves, the flash works on both so some sun isn't mandatory but it helps. Quite a nice big zoom on the Olympus. Pretty weighty cameras to be using the cord round the neck though.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had a PC35 years ago (and wouldn't mind another for the right price) and I still have a XA. Very different beasts...

The XA is a camera that rewards being thoughtful. You have to focus, should actually pick an aperture, and that slows you down.

The Pentax is more relaxed about the whole process. Wind and fire, that's it. But that's the point, and it's honest about it.

I got good photos from both, but if I recall correctly, the Olympus has the better lens (though that could be focus-related).

The original Olympus mu (Stylus) is also terrific. More automation, but a great lens and form factor.

-Eric