Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2008, 05:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
not too interested in that. i suppose it should be said that part of my interest in this option is compactness. yes, i know most all point and shoots are, by their very nature, smaller than a dSLR....but i kinda am leaning toward one that is the size of a deck of cards.

but then, i am also bouncing back and forth between budget backup, and if im gonna get one, lets get a good one. but if im gonna get a good one, then why not use it more often.
i hate it when the voices in my head debate...

07-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
but then, i am also bouncing back and forth between budget backup, and if im gonna get one, lets get a good one. but if im gonna get a good one, then why not use it more often.
i hate it when the voices in my head debate...
I have those same little voices in my head, as well.
I don't know if you've taken a look at my link to the pics from the Nikon 5400 in my previous post, but I would venture to say that the IQ rivals that of cameras with similar features that are currently in production (G9, LX2). That is one sharp little lens that Nikon put on that camera.

With the way my husband likes to tell me what to take pics of, I've told him that he needs to get into photography, as he does have some good ideas. He says he doesn't think he'd be any good at it (bull-malarky!). If I get the second body, then when he starts playing that tune, then I can simply hand him the second body with an appropriate lens on it--most likely the 35 or 50, since he doesn't seem to like to use a zoom on the p&s camera's he's had.

The p&s I get will be for those times where I want to carry a camera, but either I don't want to or it's not practical to carry the DSLR. The Nikon is so cheap that if it konks out on me, then it's not that expensive to replace.

Heather
07-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
have not checked that particular one out-i think you said its pretty much used only? not a fan of used at the moment, for no reason really.
but then, im def. trying to keep my costs down. while without the big gun, i still am fighting the urge to buy the 55-300. truthfully, its between that and the 18-250, either for a really light kit, or an insanely light kit.....
plus as more info on my inheritance trickles in....damn if the k20d isnt looking good....
07-22-2008, 07:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

The Nikon 5400 came out in 2003, so it's no longer available new. I know that different people have different feelings about buying used, but out of all the cameras I've ever bought, only 2 were brand new when I bought them. As long as you're careful, you can pick up some really good deals. If you're not comfortable with Fleabay, then KEH has several for sale and they have great customer service, so I wouldn't have a problem with once again buying from them.

If I were in your shoes, what I would do is buy the inexpensive p&s and wait on the inheritance money and buy the K20, with the K10 as a backup and if the money is still there, then either the 55-300 or 18-250.

Heather

07-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thats kinda where I am leaning....going for that nearly $100 coolpix or something similar, and honestly waiting until Photokina for any further body announcements. By then, the k10d will be back, repaired and hopefully keeping me happy, so whether it's a model under the k200d, or something higher end, i figure the prices will drop a little at some point this fall....so thats probably when I will grab the 2nd body, if at all.

I tried a k100d/k10d pairing for about a month, but was not a fan of the 2 bodies in a bag scenario. But, I don't shoot for a living, so I don't need it. Whatever the 2nd body would be, honestly would likely stay @ home or in the hotel as a stored backup, if that makes sense.

or, i could just go lazy or be too busy to do too much of anything. sometimes being busy when so often in close proximity to the camera stores in NYC is a good thing...