Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2016, 01:18 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cicada caught emerging from its shell - MX-1 macro timelapse

First time I've ever seen a cicada emerging - normally I just get weirded out by all the empty shells around here. Even this time I missed the beginning of the show.

The MX-1 timelapse feature works very nicely, if you don't mind manually starting a new file every 25 minutes and occasionally having to switch batteries. I was very pleased with how this bit turned out. It's about 8 minutes collapsed down to 1 minute, out of a process that took an hour and a half for the cicada.

07-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

That was awesome. We have many "empties" around the house at the moment but I've never seen an emergence. Cool stuff!
07-30-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Great video, thanks for sharing! I think the MX-1 is great for macro, but I have not used the timelapse feature.

Sorry, did you mean the total elapsed time shown in the video was 8 minutes, or 1-1/2 hours?
07-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice work! I notice a lot of cicadas around here prefer car wheels as well

07-30-2016, 07:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Great video, thanks for sharing! I think the MX-1 is great for macro, but I have not used the timelapse feature.

Sorry, did you mean the total elapsed time shown in the video was 8 minutes, or 1-1/2 hours?
It took the cicada about an hour and a half to get out of its shell. This video shows just the most interesting 8 minutes of it, condensed down to 1 minute. Clear as mud? :-)

I should have also mentioned, this is my first time trying the timelapse feature. It was great for this, but there doesn't seem to be any configurability - the 8:1 speedup seems to be a fixed rate, unless I missed something in the menu. Kinda wish it was equipped to adjust that, or to do long interval shooting.
07-31-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice indeed! Am I correct in deducing the MX-1 time-lapse setting automatically creates a video file out of the stills? And there is no interval setting, just the 8-1 time compression setting?

I ask because it looks so good and I'd like to be able to be as successful if I ever have such an opportunity.
07-31-2016, 12:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dakotapix Quote
Very nice indeed! Am I correct in deducing the MX-1 time-lapse setting automatically creates a video file out of the stills? And there is no interval setting, just the 8-1 time compression setting?
Right, there isn't a generalized interval feature, nor any adjustment for the timelapse speed. I think the timelapse implementation is just a variation on the normal movie recording, the only difference being that it throws away seven frames out of every eight. Thanks for the kind words.

-------- edited to add:

Yes the output is a video, not a bunch of single image files. The video file has extension MOV.

Last edited by Sluggo; 07-31-2016 at 03:20 PM. Reason: tried to improve answer
08-01-2016, 08:47 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
Right, there isn't a generalized interval feature, nor any adjustment for the timelapse speed. I think the timelapse implementation is just a variation on the normal movie recording, the only difference being that it throws away seven frames out of every eight. Thanks for the kind words.

-------- edited to add:

Yes the output is a video, not a bunch of single image files. The video file has extension MOV.
Thanks! Very helpful.