Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Sad WG-4 story

Yep.. it's gone.

Summer vacations 2016 involved a white water raft down the Ottawa River, world class. The WG-4 not skipping a beat, showing great slow-mo videos from the mornings frolic in the lake, capturing great candids from the lanyard on my PFD heading down river... The excursion ends with a "hey everyone jump out and float this section on your back" recommendation from the guide. Super snaps of my kids having the time of their life.

Sadly, as I was hauled back into the inflatable raft, the lanyard caught, broke and the WG-4 was swept away in the fast current, lost forever. I'll likely replace the WG, but with what model I'm not sure, I had no complaints of the WG-4 besides short battery life. In the mean time, I am reaching out to the photographer who works with the rafting company to procure a few shots for our annual album.

Tell me your story, and make me feel good.

08-10-2016, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

A few days ago I was on vacation in Guadalupe Mountains National Park when I stumbled and dropped my K-1. A nearby gray fox grabbed it and climbed up a cactus with it. Wait, that wasn't my K-1, it was my GoPro Hero 3 Black. Oh, and it wasn't a gray fox, it was a squirrel...and it wasn't me and not my camera. Recently I did see a gray fox in GMNP though.

08-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
...Tell me your story, and make me feel good.
Sorry about your camera. At least the lanyard broke instead of twisting around your neck and strangling you. That's something to feel good about.
08-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a real bummer Matt. You never know though - someone may find it, check the rafting images and try to follow up through the rafting company. Stranger things have happened. If it's any comfort I lost a Seiko diver's watch in a collision with another surfer at Pipeline many years ago. I often think of it trapped down below, fairly confident that with a new battery, it would tick over like new.

08-11-2016, 05:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
I often think of it trapped down below
That is exactly it... a mixture of wonder, hope and regret.
08-11-2016, 05:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTom Quote
A few days ago I was on vacation in Guadalupe Mountains National Park when I stumbled and dropped my K-1. A nearby gray fox grabbed it and climbed up a cactus with it. Wait, that wasn't my K-1, it was my GoPro Hero 3 Black. Oh, and it wasn't a gray fox, it was a squirrel...and it wasn't me and not my camera. Recently I did see a gray fox in GMNP though.
Great story! Riveting! X-D

Very sorry for your loss, Matt. :-( The images, and the camera, too.

I don't have any great stories about losing something as valuable as a camera, but...

One time my car got stolen? It was a 1983 Chevy Celebrity. I parked in the garage behind the pet store where I worked (Midtown, Kansas City, MO) and was opening the store when the boss walked in and said, "Oh, I thought you weren't here since your car wasn't out back." I told him he was funny and clearly didn't believe him, but he said, "No, I'm serious..." Sure enough, it was just gone. I never locked my doors because I had my window broken out one time when someone stole my stereo and I decided locking the doors was pointless - they're going to get in if they really want to and I don't want to have to pay $100 to replace the glass every time. There wasn't anything valuable in the car, except a bunch of ceramics tools in the trunk, and some lewd-looking concrete parrot perches in the back seat floor. About every two years the KCPD literally sends me a letter asking if I've gotten the car back yet. No, guys. That's kind of YOUR job.

Everytime I'm in KC I keep my eyes peeled for a gray Celebrity with my distinctive stickers in the window, but that thing's probably at the bottom of the river by now. :-P
08-11-2016, 05:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Our original Optio 80 WR was stolen after having been left on a dock at a loading point for a minute or so, when we were less than 15 feet away loading our boats. I think we were probably considerably more upset than you were.
08-11-2016, 07:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Funny... I thought I'd get a couple of stories of WG series cameras going in the drink... Not theft, and even grand theft auto!

08-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I lost a cell phone to a lake, and had a EM10 mysteriously disappear. Sorry to hear about your camera, most unfortunate!
08-11-2016, 01:43 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Mattt, in my attempt to make you chuckle I forgot to say that I'm sorry for the loss of your cam and images. I hope that the guide/photographer has some nice ones of you and your mates, and that you get a suitable replacement soon.
08-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTom Quote
Mattt, in my attempt to make you chuckle I forgot to say that I'm sorry for the loss of your cam and images. I hope that the guide/photographer has some nice ones of you and your mates, and that you get a suitable replacement soon.
Oh dont worry Tom - sincerely I thought there might be a few stories of lost adventure cameras - your humor was not lost on me - though the "squirrel folks" probably might have an adventure camera story or two after seeing the video you shared.
08-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

We used to have a yellow foot thing that you can get from sailing store to attach to our camera stop, so the camera could be retied. The camera went over board when we dumped in a rapid in the Crow River in Algonquin Park once, and was easily retrieved a bit down stream. A river the size of the Ottawa it would probably have been gone in any case, but, something to consider for your next one. It was a little foam yellow booby float thing, I think a lot of sailors attach their keys to them.

We gave it to a friend of ours who solos canoes ( camera with float attached,) in the remote regions of Ontario. He loves it.
08-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A river the size of the Ottawa it would probably have been gone in any case
- I'm thinking same

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think a lot of sailors attach their keys to them.
- I know that one well. I was using a variant of the Nordic Flash floating wrist strap - no complaints prior to this trip, but it appears the Dacron cord pulled out of the connector - leaving the floating bit attached to me, and my camera swimming.
08-16-2016, 05:58 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
On the upside, I picked up a new WG-4 for a good price and received smiles and cheers from my wife (not a usual result where camera equipment is considered )
08-16-2016, 06:04 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
On the upside, I picked up a new WG-4 for a good price and received smiles and cheers from my wife (not a usual result where camera equipment is considered )
Hurray, a happy ending! I'm super curious what the output of these cameras looks like - do you ever post up anything from them?