Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2016, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Point and Shoot Competion #104- Transitions

Thanks for the honors for the Summer theme!

For September, the theme of "Transitions" came to me. September is full of them, from Summer to Fall (OK, for you folks down under, its Winter to Spring), from no school to Back-to-School, and the light is ever changing, getting less and less in the North and more and more in the South. Anything that says to you "transitions" will work, so see what you can come up with and post away! Show us some REALLY great stuff and make those DSLR gurus drool!

RULES (as per usual):

1. Have lots of fun!
2. Cameras:

No cameras with sensors larger than 1".
No large format or camera typically requiring a tripod to use.
No interchangeable lens cameras.
No 35mm (D)SLRs or any camera weighing over 1kg.

Cameras permitted (cameras listed as acceptable here supersede rules above):

Mobile phones, old and new, iPods, tablets, toy cameras.
Fixed-lens 35mm and smaller-format film and digital rangefinder and viewfinder style cameras.
Interchangeable or fixed-lens 110film SLRs and Pentax Q.
TLRs, 6x9, 6x7, 6x6, Medium Format "folding", "box", or "Holga-style" scale focus cameras ( subject to 1kg weight limitation).

ANY CAMERA BRAND ALLOWED.

3. Entries will close on Friday September 30th 2016 at Midnight (gmt).
4. Maximum image dimensions are 1024x768 (ish) pixels.
5. List camera brand and model with entry for all to see, and exposure data would be nice.

6. No restrictions on when the entries were taken.
7. Contest winner determines the rules, selects theme, sets closing date and judges the next competition.

8. Enter up to three images, however you may change your entries as many times as you like up to the contest closing date/time.

9. Feel free to post a shot (not judged) which shows off your setup.

Last edited by BigDave; 09-02-2016 at 05:25 AM.
09-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Just to be clear... does the x100 count? it is APS-C
09-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Too many rules...sorry...rules are not fun IMHO..,
09-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ldj4549 Quote
Too many rules...sorry...rules are not fun IMHO..,
Contest number 104 and no one who participated before this has agreed with you.

09-02-2016, 04:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Cameras permitted (cameras listed as acceptable here supersede rules above):

Mobile phones, old and new, iPods, tablets, toy cameras.
Fixed-lens 35mm and smaller-format film and digital rangefinder and viewfinder style cameras.
Interchangeable or fixed-lens 110film SLRs and Pentax Q.
TLRs, 6x9, 6x7, 6x6, Medium Format "folding", "box", or "Holga-style" scale focus cameras ( subject to 1kg weight limitation).

Ok, I think this includes the X100. I'll play!
09-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
In the past, Ricoh GR and X100 have been allowed, yes.
09-04-2016, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Just to be clear... does the x100 count? it is APS-C
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
In the past, Ricoh GR and X100 have been allowed, yes.
TL;DR version: It's up to BigDave.

Long verson:

The rules state that no digital cameras with sensors larger than 1" are considered "point and shoot" cameras for the purposes of this contest. That said, traditionally, the word of the judge has been law, and contest judges have allowed shots from X100s and Ricoh GRs into the contest threads.

We have been round and round the mulberry bush a few hundred times in past contests trying to come up with a definition for a point and shoot camera. The result of a LOT of discussion on the subject is the current slightly lengthy but straightforward ruleset. It arose, I believe, from someone using a view camera in a P&S contest, because the initial rules for allowable cameras was simply "Not an SLR."

Myself, I don't personally think an X100 is a point and shoot. I think it confers a bit of an unfair advantage over those of us who are using simple compact cameras for this.

Then again, My RX100 is well within the rules, as it's super-small and fits in a pocket, and it is frankly better than a lot of simple compacts too.

Ultimately, it's up to the judge. If he OK's a Canon 5D Mark II, it's in.

09-04-2016, 06:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
TL;DR version: It's up to BigDave.

Long verson:

The rules state that no digital cameras with sensors larger than 1" are considered "point and shoot" cameras for the purposes of this contest. That said, traditionally, the word of the judge has been law, and contest judges have allowed shots from X100s and Ricoh GRs into the contest threads.

We have been round and round the mulberry bush a few hundred times in past contests trying to come up with a definition for a point and shoot camera. The result of a LOT of discussion on the subject is the current slightly lengthy but straightforward ruleset. It arose, I believe, from someone using a view camera in a P&S contest, because the initial rules for allowable cameras was simply "Not an SLR."

Myself, I don't personally think an X100 is a point and shoot. I think it confers a bit of an unfair advantage over those of us who are using simple compact cameras for this.

Then again, My RX100 is well within the rules, as it's super-small and fits in a pocket, and it is frankly better than a lot of simple compacts too.

Ultimately, it's up to the judge. If he OK's a Canon 5D Mark II, it's in.
I completely agree.
09-04-2016, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, Whatever the rules, that is what they are now. Let's see some images and get this puppy going!

Regards,
09-04-2016, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At web resolution most pics will not be that badly disadvantaged in the smaller sensors except with low light.
09-04-2016, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
At web resolution most pics will not be that badly disadvantaged in the smaller sensors except with low light.
True, though the x100s major advantages will become selective focus, though any of the allowable film caneras will have that too... And the manual controls, but lots of cameras have that. Then theres the size, but some of my pointy shoot film cameras havr that.

Im done lawyering. Dave seems cool with it so go for it

My new attitude is "Why not."
09-04-2016, 07:34 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
True, though the x100s major advantages will become selective focus, though any of the allowable film caneras will have that too... And the manual controls, but lots of cameras have that. Then theres the size, but some of my pointy shoot film cameras havr that.

Im done lawyering. Dave seems cool with it so go for it

My new attitude is "Why not."
My future preference would be back to 1" sensor size max, but I'm ok with judges rules.
09-05-2016, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My future preference would be back to 1" sensor size max, but I'm ok with judges rules.
Another round of debate will probably go into our next set of rules for the P&S contest, but the judge is the final authority for each particular contest.

I will say however, that in all the contests I've seen, I don't think equipment has ever given an unfair advantage to the winner. It's always bout the photographer's eye and creativity, which, I think is what this is supposed to be about in the first place.

Maybe the x100 is a little unfair. Maybe my RX100 is too. But in the end, it's the photographer who takes the picture. The camera just helps.
09-05-2016, 04:11 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
solid ... liquid

Looks like I'll start this months contest with the first entry. Inspired by my glass of ice tea while relaxing outside, my version of "Transition" is a melting ice cube, i.e. solid to liquid.

Taken with my Olympus TG-4 P&S camera. I sat the ice cube on a plate of glass over black construction paper and used a small flashlight to get the melted water to appear better. The Olympus was mounted on my Joby table tripod for the shot. Some PP done with Nik Silver Efex.

Last edited by zman; 02-03-2017 at 05:26 PM.
09-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
Looks like I'll start this months contest with the first entry. Inspired by my glass of ice tea while relaxing outside, my version of "Transition" is a melting ice cube, i.e. solid to liquid.

Taken with my Olympus TG-4 P&S camera. I sat the ice cube on a plate of glass over black construction paper and used a small flashlight to get the melted water to appear better. The Olympus was mounted on my Joby table tripod for the shot. Some PP done with Nik Silver Efex.
Great shot!