Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2016, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Point and Shoot Competition #105 - Round

Welcome!

This month's theme "Round" is meant to be broad and open to interpretation.

Anything goes if the word "Round" could be in your description.
For example; a round of drinks, round curves, a round pumpkin, or a round abstract.

I do look forward to seeing what you creative folks come up with.

RULES (as per usual):

1. Have lots of fun!
2. Cameras:

No cameras with sensors larger than 1".
No large format or camera typically requiring a tripod to use.
No interchangeable lens cameras.
No 35mm (D)SLRs or any camera weighing over 1kg.

Cameras permitted (cameras listed as acceptable here supersede rules above):

Mobile phones, old and new, iPods, tablets, toy cameras.
Fixed-lens 35mm and smaller-format film and digital rangefinder and viewfinder style cameras.
Interchangeable or fixed-lens 110film SLRs and Pentax Q.
TLRs, 6x9, 6x7, 6x6, Medium Format "folding", "box", or "Holga-style" scale focus cameras ( subject to 1kg weight limitation).

ANY CAMERA BRAND ALLOWED.

3. Entries will close on Monday, October 31st, 2016 at Midnight (cmt). Please Note: The 31st is Halloween in the States and so judging will not be done until the 1st.
4. Maximum image dimensions are 1024x768 (ish) pixels.
5. List camera brand and model with entry for all to see, and exposure data would be nice.

6. No restrictions on when the entries were taken.
7. Contest winner determines the rules, selects theme, sets closing date and judges the next competition.

8. Enter up to three images, however you may change your entries as many times as you like up to the contest closing date/time.

9. Feel free to post a shot (not judged) which shows off your setup.

"Round" photo ideas (not entries) to get us started: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/27077-chemtech/albums/11263-point...ion-105-round/

10-02-2016, 06:38 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Serendipity. This is my favorite shot from today as it turns out. Panasonic LX7.

10-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

That is a great theme!
I will probably only find time later in the month to enter. Some really hectic weeks at work coming up.

Great first entry, UncleVanya!
10-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
That is a great theme!
I will probably only find time later in the month to enter. Some really hectic weeks at work coming up.

Thanks - pure luck! I have some other ideas percolating but to have the theme posted the same day I took the shot just seemed like I had to post that entry.

10-03-2016, 03:18 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Autumn Orb ...

Hi & Congrats Chemtech for winning our last months Compact Camera Competetion. And thanks for another fun topic for this months contest.

My first entry is an older shot from 2014, but more recently PP'ed into this orb. I found the technique on a PS Elements website and when I read "Round" this immediately came to mind. I've also included the original image to show the difference between the two.

Taken with my old Pentax MX-1 which I no longer own. Great camera, but I just missed a viewfinder too much.

Last edited by zman; 02-03-2017 at 05:26 PM.
10-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Serendipity. This is my favorite shot from today as it turns out. Panasonic LX7.

QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
Hi & Congrats Chemtech for winning our last months Compact Camera Competetion. And thanks for another fun topic for this months contest.

My first entry is an older shot from 2014, but more recently PP'ed into this orb. I found the technique on a PS Elements website and when I read "Round" this immediately came to mind. I've also included the original image to show the difference between the two.

Taken with my old Pentax MX-1 which I no longer own. Great camera, but I just missed a viewfinder too much.

I must say we are off to a great start!

Serendipity indeed, UncleVanya,(love when that happens). A perfect fit for this theme. Well done.

Zman, your colorful entry is also a great fit for the theme. Way to think outside the box! Thanks, for including the original image. A quick question: does the technique only work with PS Elements?

---------- Post added 10-03-16 at 06:02 PM ----------

That is a great theme!

I will look forward to your entries, Bart! Hope, all goes well with work.
10-03-2016, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is freaking wild.

10-04-2016, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chemtech Quote
Zman, your colorful entry is also a great fit for the theme. Way to think outside the box! Thanks, for including the original image. A quick question: does the technique only work with PS Elements?
I would imagine you can do it with Adobe Photoshop as well. Here is the link to the website that showed me how to do it.
It's TIme to Make Orbs | Photoshop Elements & More
10-07-2016, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

DANG! Love that edit
10-07-2016, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

My first shot...

Used my WG-4 in P mode. Used Exposure comp to get the shot. I love how close you can get with this camera and it can still grab focus.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
RICOH WG-4 GPS  Photo 
10-07-2016, 06:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
My first shot...

Used my WG-4 in P mode. Used Exposure comp to get the shot. I love how close you can get with this camera and it can still grab focus.

Well seen and captured! Gorgeous details in all those tiny rounds within a round.
10-08-2016, 05:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Impressive processing technique. Great result!

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
My first shot...

Beautiful mosaic.
10-08-2016, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I came up with these two, both in b&w.
With Panasonic FX500.

Paris, La Défense
17.6mm (104mm 135 equivalent), 1/8sec, f/5.6, ISO 400

A statue in the park of a neighbouring town
9.9mm (58mm 135 equivalent), 1/13 sec, f/4.5, ISO 100

I hope to have a 3rd entry before the end of the month
10-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I came up with these two, both in b&w.
With Panasonic FX500.

Paris, La Défense
17.6mm (104mm 135 equivalent), 1/8sec, f/5.6, ISO 400

A statue in the park of a neighbouring town
9.9mm (58mm 135 equivalent), 1/13 sec, f/4.5, ISO 100

I hope to have a 3rd entry before the end of the month

These are some very fine entries, Bart! The bicycle statue is so very charming and full of round curves.

P.s I hope work is treating you well.
10-12-2016, 11:55 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Thanks!

Work is hectic but I prefer too much over too little