Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2016, 12:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

My MX-1 had a hard fall in Cusco...

My MX-1 has survived two falls: one time -a couple of years ago- I dropped from my hands (aprox 1.60 meters high) and felt directly over the LCD screen on a wood floor. Nothing bad happened thanks God!. The second time was a week ago during a visit to Ollantaytambo (near Machu Picchu in Peru)... It was so windy that my not-so-heavy tripod tilted over and hit a rock on the ground! the camera felt very hard on the side of the flash button. This time my little buddy had a few scratches on the top brass and chips in the plastic LCD screen frame and near the speakers. First thing I noticed was that the LCD was working Ok, but the buttons were not. The ON/OFF button wasn't working so the lens didn't retract! Then I thought: maybe if I take the battery out and put it back again, everything will work again... I was right! MX-1 started to work again as if nothing had happened! the flash and everything was working perfectly. The scratches have revealed the brass color beneath the silver painting.

I'm really impressed with the MX-1 durability and so, I'm expecting it to last more years and get older with me, to finally reveal -more- patina someday

Here are a couple of photos I want to share with you. First one was made in Plaza de Armas in Cusco, and the second one in Ollantaytambo town (around 60 kilometers northwest of the city of Cusco), where my camera had it's latest accident...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
10-07-2016, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #2

Nice photos.

I'm glad your buddy is OK! I also have an MX-1 in addition to my K-50. The longer I own the MX-1, the better I like it. It is very easy to carry and use. The lens is fast and sharp. The colour rendition is excellent. I wish it had an optical viewfinder but hey you can't have everything.
10-09-2016, 12:15 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lakeshore Quote
Nice photos.

I'm glad your buddy is OK! I also have an MX-1 in addition to my K-50. The longer I own the MX-1, the better I like it. It is very easy to carry and use. The lens is fast and sharp. The colour rendition is excellent. I wish it had an optical viewfinder but hey you can't have everything.
Thank you lakeshore! Yes, the MX-1 has that 'something' that keep us shooting with it even if 'better' cameras are available to us (I also own a K-3II)
The fast lens is definitely one of the things I love about this camera. How much would it cost to have an equivalent lens in the DSLR world?
Cheers!

p.s. I'd love to see a MX-2 with an optical viewfinder, Wi-Fi, GPS, hot shoe... etc
10-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #4

I was looking for a camera that would be more convenient to "just take along" than a DSLR. I was impressed by the quality of the MX-1 images which I had seen on the web. I bought the camera when there was an unexpected price drop. It was much less expensive than a lot of other similar cameras. I like the way it feels in the hand having a nice solid heft to it but not so heavy as to be a burden when carrying it. The lens is great and the zoom feature is great for framing when walking closer is not an option. I don't do much video but I have been surprised, in a good way, by the results.

I really miss having an optical viewfinder having started in photography in the film era. I still miss it but after a period of adjustment I'm managing. Overall it's a very nice, if under-rated camera.

10-10-2016, 04:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got an MX-1 when they were down to $240 or so on Amazon. Awesome little camera. And as you have already mentioned, a viewfinder is all it really lacks. The screen is not that easy to use on a bright sunny day. It also taught me the value of a tilt screen. Something I never thought was necessary. The B&W mode is one of it's best features. Almost film like.
10-11-2016, 04:42 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
BTW, here is a pic of my MX-1 and its wounds that will forever remind me of very good moments lived in Cusco...
As you can see, it was a very hard fall and I'm sure other cameras would have broken in pieces. But in the photo looks worse than it really looks in real life