Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2016, 04:16 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Point & Shoot Competition #106 - Hometown Tourist Spots

Welcome and hope you'll enjoy this months contest. One of my favorite things about Pentax Forums is its members. They come from all over the world and places that I'll probably never get to visit. We all have spots that we like to show off to our out-of-town visitors, some iconic and others less traveled. I'm close to Niagara Falls and that's always the first choice, but I also enjoy showing off our old waterfront grain elevators from days gone by. Lets share some of these wonderful places with each other.

RULES (as per usual):

1. Have lots of fun!
2. Cameras:

No cameras with sensors larger than 1".
No large format or camera typically requiring a tripod to use.
No interchangeable lens cameras.
No 35mm (D)SLRs or any camera weighing over 1kg.

Cameras permitted (cameras listed as acceptable here supersede rules above):

Mobile phones, old and new, iPods, tablets, toy cameras.
Fixed-lens 35mm and smaller-format film and digital rangefinder and viewfinder style cameras.
Interchangeable or fixed-lens 110film SLRs and Pentax Q.
TLRs, 6x9, 6x7, 6x6, Medium Format "folding", "box", or "Holga-style" scale focus cameras ( subject to 1kg weight limitation).

ANY CAMERA BRAND ALLOWED.

3. Entries will close on Wednesday, November 30th, 2016 at Midnight (EST).

4. Maximum image dimensions are 1024x768 (ish) pixels.
5. List camera brand and model with entry for all to see, and exposure data would be nice.

6. No restrictions on when the entries were taken.
7. Contest winner determines the rules, selects theme, sets closing date and judges the next competition.

8. Enter up to three images, however you may change your entries as many times as you like up to the contest closing date/time.

11-02-2016, 06:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a lovely idea! I'm going to have to think about this one but I really like the theme.
11-02-2016, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just happened across a shot from September that would fit the bill.
This was taken with a Samsung Galaxy S6 at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP at a popular overlook.
1/147s, f/1.9, ISO 40
11-02-2016, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Hometown: near NYC

Submission #1: Hudson Yards Scaffolding

Hudson Yards is a multiple skyscraper redevelopment project on the west side of Manhattan. It's being constructed on platforms above an open-air commuter rail storage yard. The project is forecast to cost over $20B.

Canon S95, f3.2, 1/60, ISO 250

Submission #2: Skateboard Shopper

This shopping mall is below the new World Trade Center building and memorial, with connections to the subway and NJ commuter rail.

Ricoh GR, f5.6, 1/350, ISO 100

11-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That second shot is pretty amazing. I love the composition and the shadows and the b&w use is quite apropos.
11-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I'll second the second shot, very well done....first one is excellent too, just an amazing criss cross of colours.
11-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, a couple of pics on the first day !

mattb123 - it's amazing the images those phones can take. I have a slight fear of heights, a roof is OK for me, but there would definitely need to be a wall to stand behind to look down from there.

DeadJohn - I'm embarrassed to admit that despite living on the other side of New York State, I've only visited NYC once ( not counting trips to LaGuardia). I love the city. My favorite part : experiencing the waves of opposing people crossing a busy Manhattan street. It's like choreography.

Off to a solid start ... keep 'em coming
11-02-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep a Nikon Coolpix S9300 in the Truck 24/7 365 days of the Year Because it is an Excellent little Camera and if someone steals it I'm not out a lot of $$$. Its excellent to catch those Candids when I dont have my Grown Up Stuff with me and the GPS built in is Fun to see where I've been on Google Earth'
First Shot is A Moon Rise over Thunder Bay Harbour through the Main Gap with The Sleeping Giant in the background.(Nanibijou of Oji-Cree Fokelore).
The second one is of the Mighty Nipigon River (World record Square Tail Trout)Where the Big Fish eat the Little Fish with Experienced Fisher???? ( Gulls Pelicans & Peoples).
It is the Largest Tributary into Lake Superior.The photos were Hand Held shots no Tripod.
The Third Picture is Fraser Lake ,North West Ontario WHERE THE BIG FISH EAT THE LITTLE FISH Thousands of American Anglers from the Midwest and Beyond have come for Generations to try their Luck

Last edited by honey bo bo; 10-08-2017 at 08:09 PM.
11-04-2016, 05:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Awesome shots in here already
11-04-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
OK, a couple of pics on the first day !

mattb123 - it's amazing the images those phones can take. I have a slight fear of heights, a roof is OK for me, but there would definitely need to be a wall to stand behind to look down from there.
Thanks and yes, I agree on the quality we get from these little devices is impressive!
You would not have like the spot I was in.
There were railings behind me but I climbed up onto the rocks for a better perspective. It wasn't particularly difficult or dangerous but it did make another photographer nearby that morning a bit nervous that I was there. Somehow I managed to not fall into the abyss.
11-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the mountain goat genes also. I don't do much like that anymore but I can empathize.
11-05-2016, 05:50 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Wonderful theme!
Great entries already.
11-08-2016, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Chihuly Glass Museum - Seattle

Nikon Coolpix A

Seattle and Chihuly Garden
by John Rudolph, on Flickr
11-08-2016, 04:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
Chihuly Glass Museum - Seattle

Nikon Coolpix A

Seattle and Chihuly Garden
Yes, there is nice glass other than Pentax lenses. Chihuly is an amazing artist. He has an exhibit going on right now in Toronto, Ontario. Only two hours away from me. I should head up before the snow starts.
11-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Not a competition photo, however it might be better than the other one.

ZMan - you should go; his work is amazing!

Green