Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2016, 03:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking for a good P&S camera for indoor shooting!

I am looking for a good point & shoot camera to use indoors taking candid shots. This will not replace my K-01, K50 or K3, just fill in were I have not been able to get acceptable pictures. I am looking for fast accurate focusing and sharp images, video is at the btm of my priorities. I have done a little research and have come up with a few candidates, 1. Sony Cyber Shot DSC-RX100 V, . Canon Power Shot G7X Mark II, 3. Ricoh GR II. I know there are so many compact cameras out there and If anyone has experience with one that will fill my needs, please advise

Last edited by kjphilippona; 11-03-2016 at 01:02 PM.
11-03-2016, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The bigger the sensor the better, so it'd be the GR out of those three, Kjp.

One of the Panny or Oly m43s would be better than the two 1" ones you've listed, too.
11-03-2016, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IMO, Panasonic's point and shoots lead the pack. after 5 years of great quality shots, my beloved Panasonic gave up the ghost a while back, just after I bought the K-5, so I haven't repllaced it, but if I need a p&S, it is probably going to be a Panasonic once more.
11-03-2016, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #4

Sony NEX with a pancake lens or Nikon Coolpix A might be worth considering.

11-03-2016, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I've tried a lot of them, and I keep selling them off. None of them have compared to the reliability of my Canon G12 or G15. Every, single, time. Sure, there are better image quality cameras in low light with bigger sensors. Franky, I don't need to see every pore and pimple in stark detail. I like amazingly fast and accurate AF, a good zoom range, and a hotshoe. Also high up there is pocketability, and this is where my G15 excels. I can go anywhere and shoot anything with it and get decent pics.
11-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The bigger the sensor the better, so it'd be the GR out of those three, Kjp.

One of the Panny or Oly m43s would be better than the two 1" ones you've listed, too.
Is the focusing system any better in the GR than the one in the K-01?
11-03-2016, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
Is the focusing system any better in the GR than the one in the K-01?
Just about everything named so far in this thread has only CD auto focus, the traditional weakness of mirrorless systems.

Lower light levels means lower contrast.

11-03-2016, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

If you want something pocket-able with a flip screen, a pop-up flash (that you can actually bounce too), has 30x zoom and takes reasonable macros have a look at the Nikon Coolpix S9900. I really like mine for a camera I can just drop in a pocket and go.

The images above are bigger than the camera by about 1.25x, it really is small enough to fit into a shirt pocket.
11-03-2016, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
pentax Q series with the ! lens, you know the menu already and itll fit in most pockets.preferably a Q7.just go over to that section and check out the shots, it will also double as a super telephoto(with adapter)...and video is bottom of yr needs,ha ha.
11-03-2016, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I did this last autumn and chose a Fuji x30

if I was spending your money...of the three you have listed I would buy the sony

I insisted on a viewfinder (after contending with the q and k01)
I preferred a short, fast zoom and a hot shoe
I wanted excellent out of the camera jpegs
I didn't want to spend a thousand dollars for a point and shoot

the Panasonic lx100 and the x30 were my shortlist

I really loved the feel of the Fuji and that settled it for me
it feels like a q with a viewfinder...which I thought would be the perfect small camera for me

frankly it has been

good luck
11-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
I did this last autumn and chose a Fuji x30

if I was spending your money...of the three you have listed I would buy the sony

I insisted on a viewfinder (after contending with the q and k01)
I preferred a short, fast zoom and a hot shoe
I wanted excellent out of the camera jpegs
I didn't want to spend a thousand dollars for a point and shoot

the Panasonic lx100 and the x30 were my shortlist

I really loved the feel of the Fuji and that settled it for me
it feels like a q with a viewfinder...which I thought would be the perfect small camera for me

frankly it has been

good luck
I was leaning toward the Sony also, with its new 315-point phase detection focusing system i had hoped would help me capture my little 3 year old grand daughter's smile and sparkle in her eyes, is priceless to me! I have eaten bologna sandwiches before

Last edited by kjphilippona; 11-03-2016 at 02:23 PM.
11-03-2016, 09:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have eaten bologna sandwiches before :
there was a time in my life when fried bologna was haute cuisine

you might be able to rent the sony
at least then you would know if it is for you
11-14-2016, 09:51 PM   #13

I went through this search and finally just rolled back to film, so many good choices. The best for pocketable and indoor shooting is, IMHO, the Olympus Stylus Epic (mjuii in Europe) which takes excellent flash pictures, can handle film up to 3200ISO, has a spot meter, and has accurate and fast focusing. Not perhaps what you are after, but these kinds of cameras have served my P&S needs very well the last 2 or 3 years.
12-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well i finally made up my mind on a P&S camera, i went with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX10. I can't wait to get it and try it out on that granddaughter
12-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well i finally made up my mind on a P&S camera, i went with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX10. I can't wait to get it and try it out on that granddaughter
I have and love the LX-7. The one thing they did with the LX-10 that steams me is that they removed the flash hot shoe and removed the ability to add a viewfinder (which it does not have). I have the VF-2 viewfinder which I use on my LX-7 and GX-1 and really can't fathom the idea that they offer no viewfinder at all of this camera - sigh. In any case I'll be interested to know how to works for you.