Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Was there ever a replacement made for the MX-1?

Beautiful looking camera... is there a replacement for it yet? Or is that something Ricoh has just dropped the ball on entirely?

Charles.

11-07-2016, 12:07 PM   #2

I don't know but I'm sure enjoying mine, all black version. It's easy to carry and use. It takes great pictures, for a 12 meg camera, in my opinion. I must say I do miss having an OVF or EVF but it's a great alternative to my K-50.
11-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #3

No, don't think so. There was never a follow-up to this nice little camera (that I just used not more than 5 minutes ago...). I picked it up at BH or Adorama for 199 dollars which remains a very decent deal. More than for this camera's successor, I'm personally waiting for the APS-C K-3 series successor...
11-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Beautiful looking camera... is there a replacement for it yet? Or is that something Ricoh has just dropped the ball on entirely?

Charles.
The market for compact digital cameras has collapsed so there's little incentive to bring out a new compact camera. People are using their phones instead.
Some premium options are still available from other brands, but the market for the reasonably priced compact cameras is gone it seems.

11-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I replaced my MX-1 with a used [minty] Olympus PEN E-PL5 which has a larger sensor (4/3), more pickles (16mp), smaller body, flash hot shoe and a tilty screen which flips up vertically as well for 'selfies' Of course the other plus is I can use any m4/3 lens.
I loved the MX-1 and was hoping Ricoh listened to consumers who wanted improvements and asked for an MX-2, but alas they have their own agenda and well - turns out the PEN is even better
11-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I also loved my MX-1 but sold it when I acquired a Panasonic GM-1. Larger sensor was definitely a plus, as was the compact size, touchscreen LCD, and interchangeable lenses. But I miss the awesome sharpness of the MX-1 lens and the flippy screen was great too!
12-29-2016, 10:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I ended up replacing mine with a sony nex-5 for a little while, then I sold that and just carried my K3 everywhere..now I'm using a LX100. I think pentax could come out with a 1' sensor enthusiast compact camera with a decent 24-70 equiv lens with a EVF and call it the MX-2...but they probably won't as ricoh has the GR for the enthusiast market.
01-03-2017, 02:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'm interested in the retro/vintage look as much as I am a very fast, very sharp lens. Something that's unassuming and fun. I wouldn't mind owning an MX-1 still, even as old as it is, but if there's something better that's currently available, even from another manufacturer, I'd very much consider it.

Charles.